Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
paul_ok

Seattle in August

Paul_OK
21 years ago

I am going to be visiting Seattle first week in August. What are the must see gardens? I would love to visit a few of the P-Patch gardens particularly Picardo Farm.

All recommendations are appreciated. I also don't mind being told what to avoid.

Paul

Comments (22)

• Paul_OK
    Original Author
    21 years ago

Anyone have a recommendation for sites? Gardens? Anything?

• MrBB
    21 years ago

Okay here are a few ideas. Definately check out the Arboretum. The Center For Spiritual Living on Admiral Way just east of University Village has substantial perennial gardens around thier building. In the Greenwood area Check out Wallingford Center, Seattle Tilth used to be there and also a big Pea Patch garden. The Rhody Species Garden and Bonsai display on the Weyerhauser campus in Federal Way is definately worth the time even thou the rhodies wont be in bloom. If you can get to Bainbridge Island, plan ahead for a tour of the Bloedel Reserve. You have to make reservations for that one, but definately a must see.

Hope that gives you some ideas, have fun!

• Paul_OK
    Original Author
    21 years ago

Thank you sooooo much. The information about reservations for Bloedel Reserve will be very helpful
    Paul

• carola
    21 years ago

Paul,
    These are a few that I wouldn't miss:
    Lakewold Gardens in Tacoma
    University of Washington Campus
    Washington Park Arboretum
    Connell's Dahlia Farm in Puyallup
    Butchart Gardens in Victoria,B.C
    Molbak's Nursery in Woodinville
    Bellevue Botanical Gardens
    Seattle Tilth is very much alive & well-they specialize in urban organic gardening & composting
    There's a large pea patch & a demonstration garden in Bellevue near the Lake Hills Greenbelt @ 156th Ave & SE 16th St
    Get a book called "Gardeners on the Go" (Twenty Terrific Tours around Puget Sound & Seattle) by Stephanie Feeney.
    There's also another good book by her called "The Northwest Gardeners Resource Guide".
    Hope this helps.

• lebain
    21 years ago

You mentioned you'd like to visit p-patches too. The best one I've seen (in size and activity, though I haven't seen all Seattle's p-patches) is the Interbay P-Patch. It's on 15th between Queene Anne hill and Magnolia, just a little south of the Ballard bridge. There's should be quite a lot going on there in August! I don't have a garden there, but that's where the "Interbay Mulch" composting method was hatched.

Not sure if the Ballard/Hiram locks were mentioned, but there's a small plant park there, plus you get to see the locks and the salmon ladder.

• carola
    21 years ago

Paul
    Hope you check these last 3 posts before you go.
    There's also a huge p-patch in Marymoor Park in Redmond,which is a suburb east of Seattle. The p-patch is right next to the off leash dog area.
    Carol

• Paul_OK
    Original Author
    21 years ago

Thank you for the great recommendations.
    Paul

• caitzs
    21 years ago

I second the suggestion for Seattle Tilth. If you're interested in vegetable gardening, Seattle Tilth is very active in promoting organic vegetable gardening in the city. They have a lovely garden; I volunteer there every Thursday and it is great fun. The Wallingford p-patch is nextdoor.

The Arboretum is famous for it's collection of plants, it's definately worth a stroll one day.

Also, the greenhouse at Volunteer Park is old and very nice.

I also like the greenhouse at the University of Washington. They have many interesting plants including chocolate, vanilla, and bananas. It is also where research is done - they don't appreciate strangers going into the research rooms, but they have regular organized tours. Also, the Medicinal Herb Garden at the University is lovely.

For p-patches, definately do not miss Picardo p-patch (the biggest, first, and where the "p" in p-patch came from (not peas!)) and Interbay p-patch which is lush. Every Saturday at 10 am, Interbay p-patch has a "compost social" - a potluck, turning of the compost, socializing, etc - and they always welcome visitors. It specializes in composting and is where the flowers from the flower vigil for 9-11 were composted. Contact the p-patch program and they might send you a map for a self-guided tour.

Here is a link that might be useful: Seattle p-patch program

• cora_lea
    21 years ago

I can't speak for the rest of the gardens, but we were in Seattle the first week of August a few years ago and made our way to Buchart Gardens in Victoria, B.C. It was the highlight of the trip for me. SO colorful, and the landscape design was spectacular.

Do they change the design of the gardens on a regular basis (i.e. Kukenhof in the Netherlands), or does it remain the same from year to year? Anyone know?

Have a marvelous time. We are going to be in Oregon that week this year. I need to do some "specking" for gardens before I go, too!

• madrone
    21 years ago

Cora Lea,
    The Butchard Gardens, just north of Victoria, BC has seasonal variations on the plantings in the various gardens and are always breath-taking for color and design. In the last few years they have also put in new areas and are experimenting more with different plantings. We have had garden passes for the gardens and have learnt much about good gardening techniques by just observing how and when things are done there. Their Christmas display is superb, with variations on the Christmas carol "The twelve days of Christmas". Also, when in the area, consider visiting the Horticultural Centre of the Pacific Gardens, the University of Victoria gardens and the gardens at Royal Roads. All are nicely sited and have their own charms. The Hort Centre gardens charges a modest admission, but the later two are free. Most gardens are best viewed from May until November, but the Hort Centre also has a very interesting winter garden, the Doris Page Winter Garden. It is interesting to note that all the gardens at the Hort. Centre are the work of volunteers who plant and maintain them, on a modest budget and with some help by the students taking the horticultural technicians course.

• david_5311
    21 years ago

Well, too late now for the original poster, but the number one don't miss it garden for me in the Seattle area would have been HERONSWOOD! How come it didn't make the list?

• carola
    21 years ago

David,
    Good suggestion,but they're only open to the public a few days each year.
    The new Heronswood catalog lists inside the back cover some good nurseries to visit in Vancouver,B.C.

• david_5311
    21 years ago

Hernswood is open by appointment almost any time. I have been to Seattle from Michigan half a dozen times, and I have called Heronswood in advance every time, and every time they have made arrangements for me to come and visit. No out of state gardener should miss this garden because it is "not open" when they are in Seattle. For me, the most worthwhile garden to visit in Washington state. A little less so now than 10 years ago, sigh, when you were likely to find Dan working on the beds and when you might get a personal tour (I did...). And unfortunately, the beds up near the house are now closed to the public. But still a great and worthwhile garden.

While I am going on and on, no garden visitor to the Northwest should ever miss Northwest Garden Nursery in Eugene, one of my other most favorite gardens, well maybe my most favorite ;o)....

• atomicdad
    21 years ago

one must not forget the beautiful lawn at Safeco Field ;o)

• Seattle_Gardener
    21 years ago

Hi Paul,

If you need a few more for your list, how about:
    Bellevue Botanical Gardens (Eastside)

Seattle Japanese Garden
    http://www.seattlejapanesegarden.org/

Seattle Chinese Garden

Kubota Gardens
    http://www.kubota.org/

I have included a link for the Bellevue Botanical below! By the way, August is our best month!

Good Gardening!
    Seattle_Gardener

Here is a link that might be useful: Bellevue Botanical Gardens

• Lanabeth
    20 years ago

Hello David, Are you still checking this thread? I may be visiting Seattle in August also... two questions: What specifically are the highlights of Heronswood?
    Who do I call for an appointment, tel?, internet site?
    Thanks for the info. By the way I'm also from Michigan, originally.
    L

• rosebacopa2
    19 years ago

I also will be going to the area , however in spring, and,- a few years later. Does anyone recommend gardens and/or nurseries in the Tacompa and Puyullap area?

I could travel a ways out from there also. Seattle itself is a bit too far for my brother and his young children to go. We did the Buchardt a few years ago which was great.

Any other ideas would be greatly appreciated!!
    Lynn

• Ron_B
    19 years ago

Look at Heronswood.com for information about Heronswood.

• mmegaera
    18 years ago

Tacoma and Puyallup.

Tacoma:
    Seymour Conservatory in Wright Park -- an old and lovely conservatory
    Lakewold Gardens in Lakewood (just south of Tacoma) -- an old estate garden

Puyallup:
    Van Lierops -- a spectacular bulb display
    Windmill Gardens in Sumner (just east of Puyallup)-- ditto

Hit the Farmer's Market in Olympia if you get the chance, too. Lots of plants for sale this time of year (and good food), and a perennial garden adjacent.

Megaera
    in Puyallup

• gardengal98390
    18 years ago

Visiting Tacoma or Puyallup? Be sure to go to the Species Rhododendron Garden in Federal Way (just 15 minutes north of Puyallup)if you visit between late April through June. It is near the Weyerhaueser Corporate headquarters. There is also an outstanding bonsi collection there too.

For those visiting Seattle, this is about 20 miles south and right off I-5, the main freeway. Easy to get to. Spring is our "rhody" time. GardenGal98390

• daphnexduck
    18 years ago

There is a great site that gives links to public gardens on the West Coast - scroll down for Washington.
    http://www.rainyside.com/resources/public_gardens.html#WA

Not listed there are the gardens at Point Defiance in Tacoma.
    http://www.metroparkstacoma.org/page.php?id=27
    The whole park is 29 acres and includes a forest (with miles of walking trails), zoo and aquarium, beaches, a fort, and a logging 'museum'. The gardens include
    * Dahlia Trial
    * Fuchsia Garden
    * Herb Garden
    * Iris Garden
    * Japanese Garden
    * Northwest Native Garden
    * Rhododendron Garden
    * Rose Garden
    Also, they will be holding their second annual outdoor flower show June 2-4, 2006. http://www.ptdefianceflowershow.com/
    "In the style of EnglandÂs glorious Chelsea Garden Show, TacomaÂs grand event will be outdoors, gracing 10 acres of the Point Defiance Park garden and bowl area. The three-day show offers world-class exhibits, exciting events, and learning opportunities for the whole familyÂrain or shine!"
    I went last year, and it was wonderful!

Sponsored
Fineline Deck Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars11 Reviews
Women Owned Construction Company Specializing in High Quality Decks