Return to the Garden Traveler Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
1 photo: Monterey CA protea

Posted by jkom51 Z9 CA/Sunset 17 (My Page) on
Thu, May 5, 11 at 13:12

Even here in coastal Northern CA, we do get frost days and tropicals have to be sited carefully. Monterey/Carmel are 75 miles south of us and much more temperate.

Not everyone discovers the bike trail which runs parallel to, and is just above, Cannery Row, for a mile. The south end dead-ends where the magnificent Coastal Trail begins. You can then walk all the way around the rocks and beaches looking out over the Pacific, from Monterey to Pacific Grove and all the way into Carmel. Asilomar State Beach in Pacific Grove is wonderful, and few tourists go to it.

While walking along the bike trail in Monterey, this shrub of proteas was in full bloom and in the sunshine, an absolute show-stopper. It's amazing to see a tropical living so happily outside; even in Oakland/East Bay we can't grow these easily, if at all.
Monterey April 2011

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: 1 photo: Monterey CA protea

WOW! I LOVE orange, and this is so lovely! I also love thistles(cardoon is my fav) and this looks so thistle like! Thanks for posting!

o
RE: 1 photo: Monterey CA protea

I love Proteas and grew them one year,and they did well,but they didn't come back the following year.Don't know if that was/is because i'm along the coast.I read somewhere once that they didn't like windy conditions and we get lots of wind coming across the canyon,from the ocean.They were beautiful though while they lasted.
Kathi

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Traveler Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here