Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
daisyshapes

Hampton Court and Private English Garden Tour June/July '04

daisyshapes
19 years ago

If anyone is interested in seeing some wonderful private gardens as well as National Trust Properties in Southeast England, there is a garden tour happening this summer sponsored by The British Connection, Inc. and led by former Hortus (renown Pasadena, CA nursery) owner Gary Jones. The tour is from 28 June to 6 July, begins and ends in London, and includes the Opening Gala to the Hampton Court Flower Show, as well as a visit with Penelope Hobhouse.

There are still spots available(I would sure like to find a roommate so I don't get stuck with paying a single supplement!). For more information contact Annabella Fitch-Hutton at Britcon777@aol.com.

Comments (4)

• Kandy_Australia
    19 years ago

Did you get there! Please share your experiences with fellow garden loving travellers.

Kandy

• daisyshapes
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Oh my gosh! I've been back a week and the tour is still a pleasant green blur in my memory! Here's a list of the gardens we saw during the 8-day tour (all in the SW of England; National Trust properties marked by NT):

West Green House, Hampshire (NT)
    Hinton Ampner, Hampshire (NT)
    The Manor House at Upton Grey, Hampshire
    Mottisfont Abbey Gardens, Hampshire (NT)
    Heale Garden, Wiltshire
    The Courts, Wiltshire (NT)
    Iford Manor, Wiltshire (!)
    Hadspen Garden, Somerset
    Lytes Cary, Somerset (NT)
    The Coach House (Penelope Hobhouse's house), Dorset
    Mapperton, Dorset
    Forde Abbey, Somerset
    Montacute House, Somerset (NT, !)
    Tintinhull, Somerset (NT; P. Hobhouse was once a tenant)
    Bury Court, Hampshire
    RHS Garden Wisley, Surrey

It would simply take too long to describe each of these gardens, so if anyone wants more particulars, please write me and I'll be happy to share my impressions! You can read about the National Trust properties on the Nat'l Trust website: http://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/main/default.asp

After the tour, some friends and I drove to the Cotswolds to see Kiftsgate Court and Hidcote Manor (NT). Kiftsgate is probably my favorite garden of all (so far), and a must see detour for anyone venturing toward Oxford or Stratford-Upon-Avon. The Kiftsgate Rose (reported to be the largest rose in the UK and which appears poised to take over the country) was blooming like mad! Also highly recommended is dinner at Marshmallows in Moreton-on-Marsh.

For the private gardens, Upton Grey was a treat as we were shown round by the owner, Ross Wallinger, who almost singlehandedly restored the original Gertrude Jekyll garden. We also had a personally guided tour by the young head gardener at Heale Garden, and the owner of Bury Court (designed by Piet Oudolf) happily gave us the history of his house and garden.

Penelope Hobhouse was just returned from a few weeks in the US and kept apologizing for the state of her back garden (storms had swept through while she was gone). If only I had a garden that looked half as nice as hers, storm or no! She chatted with us then turned us loose to look around (we were the only ones there), while she continued to tidy up the garden in preparation for a village fete the next day. Her influence was obvious at Tintinhull, as well.

Montacute is a must for any fan of the movie Sense and Sensibility, as it doubled as the Palmer's residence, where Marianne was taken ill. Several scenes were filmed in the house and on the grounds, which are absolutely delightful.

Please write if you want more info! I'm already planning next year's adventure to Scotland!

• Kandy_Australia
    19 years ago

So glad that you enjoyed your trip. For anyone wanting to visit the lovely gardens of Kent and Sussex - including Sissinghurst and Great Dixter, Sissinghurst Garden Tours are launching a very special tour starting on 13 September 2004. I am sure it will be a super event - its a pity I will be back in Australia before it happens. Well maybe next year!

Here is a link that might be useful: Sissinghurst and the Weald of Kent and Sussex Garden Tours

• Paula_sfbay
    19 years ago

It sounds like you had a wonderful trip, the kind that you remember for years. Thanks for telling us about it. The list you provided looks like a good starting place for someone to create his own vacation.

Paula

Sponsored
KA Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Industry Leading General Contractors in Columbus