Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mattdonath

Asian Gardens

Matt Donath
25 years ago

My wife and I are about to embark on a RTW trip (journal at http://www.travel-library.com/rtw/donath). We are starting in Asia and are very interested in visiting some gardens there.

My intention was to start in Java and visit the Bogor Botanical Gardens. However, the situation there may persuade me to change my mind. Anyone been there recently?

Our upcoming destinations are Nepal, India, NZ, and OZ. I'd love to hear from anyone with information on gardens in those places. Thanks.

Cheers,

Matt

Comments (2)

• stuart read
    25 years ago

re NZ and Oz - some favourites you may like to try are:
    NZ -
    auckland domain - wintergarden - glasshouse/fernery complex - edwardiana
    auckland regional botanic garden, south of the city
    wellington - botanic garden, in thorndon, in the city
    wellington - Otari native plant garden (need a day here!)
    new plymouth - pukeiti rhododendron trust /native bush as well as rhodos galore, a day trip
    new plymouth - Tupare garden, large private valley garden
    new plymouth - Pukekura Park, in the city
    Christchurch - botanic garden

Oz - Canberra - Australian National Botanic Garden - natives only - need a day here too
    Canberra - gardens of Old and New Parliament House (insist on a courtyard tour of the New - v. interesting)
    Canberra - sculpture garden of the National Art Gallery (all native and quite something)
    Canberra - Commonwealth Park, north side of lake
    Sydney - Botanic gardens - need all day here
    Sydney - Bicentennial Park - brand new parklands next to the site of the 2000 Olympics at Homebush Bay
    Syd - Mount Tomah botanic gardens - cool climate plants including interesting Gondwanaland garden and formal use of Oz native plants
    Syd - Mount Annan bot gardens - natives only
    Mount Wilson, Northern Blue Mountains - many private gardens, very lush hill station - atypical for Australia
    Cairns - botanic garden in the tropics
    Brisbane - botanic garden in the subtropics
    Brisbane - Mount Coot-tha Botanic Gardens - relatively young and fascinating
    Cooktown - botanic garden in the hot tropics!
    This list looks very institutional - apologies, there are thousands of private gardens in both countries which are open to the public, some all the time, some only for certain days etc. I have a guidebook to Oz open gardens if you want me to look up certain places - happy to - it depends what sort of thing you're interested in really - as well as horticultural show-off pieces there are many historic gardens open too, often only known about by locals...
    enjoy!
    Adelaide - botanic gardens
    Perth - King's Park, botanic gardens (not to mention wildflowers)
    Hobart - botanic gardens
    Melbourne - Royal Botanic Gardens
    Melb - Fitroy Gardens
    Melb - Cranbrook botanic gardens - new and native only
    Mount Macedon - half an hour's drive north west of Melb - a Victorian hill station with lush, bush girded gardens, &
    the Dandenongs, similar but to the south east...
    Dromana garden, large private garden on the Mornington peninsula - about 45mins drive from Melb -
    Rippon Lea, suburban Mansion garden - boom era gold/merchant's paradise Victoriana - National Trust icon

Thailand/ Bangkok - visit Jim Thompson's house - not far from the city centre and quite charming - the house is worth a look too - tropical plants and intimate scale, water much in use /blended traditional thai architecture/ silks and antiques galore - a heady mix and an oasis in a busy city...

Vietnam/Hanoi - visit the Temple of Literature - a 1200s university with again very tranquil courtyard gardens, in the middle of the...

• Eike Jablonski
    25 years ago

eVEN IF YOU MAY BE BACK ALREADY I will give some informations about Asian gardens:
    Nepal: Godhavari Botanical Gardens near Kathmandu are worth visiting because you will get a good introduction into the tree flora of Nepal-Himalaya midmountain areas. Trees are labelled, and there is (sometimes) a garden plan avaiable.

India: Darjeeling Lloyds Botanical Garden was a very good one just until say 10 years ago. Unfortunately now more and more houses are built into the gerden area. This is a wonderful location for the eastern himlayan flora, but not very well meintained any more and the plants are only sporadic labelled. There is a good garden plan to buy if you are lucky enough to find somebody who can sell this.
    India: Dehra Dun: Forest Research Garden nad Arboretum is very interesting to those who are keen in dendrology.
    India: Ooty Botanic Gardens is a well known place with lots of mid-indian plants, well preserved and maintained, good labelled.
    India: Calcutta Botanical Garden: You have to see it.
    some more gardens in India, you will get informations in Dehra Dun or Calcutta.
    Indonesia: Bogor is a must. I have been there 4 weeks ago (end of July/beginning of August) and all Java is very save for tourists - do not bother about riots-tzhey took place in Jakarta and Solo. People love to see foreigners now - nobody is travelling there since May.
    Cibodas (alt.: 1200-1400 m ) east of Bogor is a good place for mountain species, mainly on trees, lots of Gymnosperms. It is an branch of Bogor.
    Bali: near Bedugul in Central Bali 1200-1400 m altitude, trees and plants from eastern Indonesia, Bali, Lombok, Nusa Tengara Timor etc., 140 ha , but not as good labelled as Bogor and Cibodas.

Once travelling through these areas all are worth a visit, but outstanding are Calcutta and Bogor.