Return to the Garden Traveler Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
British Isles in August

Posted by irma_stpete z9 FL (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 16, 06 at 18:12

Where to go ? Love gardens, not fond of cold weather!

I will be in Buxton (north-central England - Peak District somewhat west of Manchester) and ready to leave it in early August 2006 for 6 days before flying back out of Manchester.

I can ride coaches, trains, or or rent a car (from the US).

Not a lot of $ to spend, and a dollar is worth about 1/2 of a pound (ouch!).

Any favorite "must see"s?

Should I go to Wales or Cornwall or save them for a longer trip or different time of year?

Previously I have been in London and south to the Isle of Wight,and on a different trip, across to Oxford (a favorite garden!) and to Bath. Once to Edinborough. Loved every place - what's not to love?!

Any suggestions for this 6 days would be greatly appreciated!

Irma

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: British Isles in August

Come to Kew!!

o

Sorry, check out what we've got coming up in August---

Here is a link that might be useful: Kew's web-page

o
RE: British Isles in August 2

Ha Ha,
Sorry, that link doesn't seem to work very well!
Try this one---

Here is a link that might be useful: Kew's web-page

o

Kew - looks lovely! I'll try to make it there! Thanks for responding! I leave for England tomorrow!

o

Maybe your trip is all planned by now, but we went to England in late July and early August and we loved the north coast of Norfolk more than Cornwall or the Cotswolds, especially a town called Cley-next-the-sea and visiting the gardens at East Ruston Old Vicarage. Both have websites, but the garden's website doesn't begin to do it justice. You can see some of my photos of it:

homepage.mac.com/kenandnancy

Have a wonderful time!

Here is a link that might be useful: English garden photos

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Traveler Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here