Return to the Garden Traveler Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Traveling by plane with plants/seedlings

Posted by Noteybook (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 4, 12 at 18:56

Hey everyone! I'm a novice gardener who's going to be moving soon into a zone 5 area from a zone 10(Florida). I've snooped around the TSA's website, and the airline's website in regards to traveling with plants, but nothing came up. I contacted the the agriculture department of the state I am going to(Ohio) and told them the situation, and they said since my seedlings are non-invasive species it's fine. I understand Florida is under quarantine because of the Citrus situation, but none of these seedlings are citrus(I'll be bringing the seed packets along, hopefully that might be able to help.. it's hard to tell what things are when they're small).

The seedlings are a mix of Gypsy Pepper(hybrid), Red Robin Tomato, and Red/Yellow Pear tomato. They all are about an inch high, with their first set of true leaves growing/out. Now, they are all in the traditional seed tray with seed starting mix. I'm still working out in what kind of container I'll bring them in.. a cardboard box with a plastic cover, maybe some plastic box with a snap-on cover, etc.. If security will allow that, I mean they say no liquids but.. nothing about dirt, mixes, and stuff like that.

I've looked on the forums in regards to traveling with plants, and the threads/posts I've seen, although helpful, were from a few years ago. I wonder with the constant change in regards to security and whatnot if they'd be out of date at this time.

I've tried contacting the TSA directly VIA e-mail, but no luck. So I'm wondering if any travelers would be able to help me; or at least reassure me that my little seedlings won't get tossed while going through security. I'll take some pictures when my camera battery has recharged.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Traveling by plane with plants/seedlings

Here's a picture, as well-sorry if the quality isn't so good, this camera is an old canon that's gone through water damage.

Also, no idea why the Gypsy Pepper(far right) seems so leggy. They get plenty of direct sun every day... granted they were supposed to be sowed directly but the soil where I am is essentially a marsh-bathtub. Nasty, yucky, and compact like heck with limestone only a foot or so below it. But, yeah..

Here is a link that might be useful: Seedlings

o
RE: Traveling by plane with plants/seedlings

I brought back potted orchids from Florida to Wisconsin in March with no problems. If you want details, email me via GW. Happy to help if I can :)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Traveler Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here