Return to the Garden Traveler Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Flying with plants....

Posted by urbangreenthumb (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 15, 07 at 5:03

I'm living in Korea right now and will be moving in a couple years. I really want to take a few of my prized plants with me back home. Is there anyway to have them shipped overseas or otherwise take them on the plane?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Flying with plants....

It is possible, but it is a long and expensive process. Any plants shipped from oversees to the US has to go through a USDA inspection and quarantine process, depending on where you ship it from. It would be best to contact USDA well ahead of your travel time and enquire about the regulations, requirements, procedures and costs to give you a better sense. Please, don't try to somehow bypass the process, because you will get caught, all your plants will be destroyed and you could face a hefty fine and/or jail time. Not to mention the danger that comes from inadvertently introducing new pests, weeds or diseases and bugs to North America.
Hope that helps. And good luck!

o
RE: Flying with plants....

I did all of the above, taking with me a list of plants not allowed to be brought into the US when I went to a Gardening Course in England. They also had the list. It was at Great Dixter Gardens, and they were very familiar with sending people back with plants as they had been doing this course for years. Anyway, I bought my plants - sans dirt - you cannot bring in any form of dirt so you'll have to take cuttings -- and flew into the US WITH all the proper forms and inspection paperwork already made out. It didn't seem to matter. They held me up for 14 hours (I missed my plane, had to stay overnight) until a "special inspector" arrived, and by the time he finished, he'd thrown out half my plants! Boy were those expensive plants! So I'd say, find out what kind of plants you have, sell them for good money, and replace them when you get to the US, because it isn't worth the hassle of getting them into the US. Anyway, It's an opinion.
MacThayer

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Traveler Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here