Return to the Garden Traveler Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Gardens in Cornwall

Posted by
Janet Menke MD\Z7a
(menkesjg-1@mindspring.com) on
Tue, Jul 17, 01 at 13:16

My husband and I are planning to visit Cornwall and Wales next May. I've already purchased several books on these areas but am wondering if there are any gardens that may not make it into these books that people recommend visiting. We definitely have the Lost Gardens of Heligan on our list. We are renting a car so off the beaten track is fine.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Gardens in Cornwall

Hi, Janet! We missed you in Chicago in July!

You are going to LOVE the Lost Gardens of Heligan!!! We were there last year in early May (try to go later in the month if possible, as there will be more in bloom), but it was simply incredible. We also rented a car and drove around. I'll have to check through our trip notes and let you know some of the places we really enjoyed.

Oh! You really should make the effort to get to St. Michael's Mt. You walk out when the tide is low and visit - the gardens fill the steep hillsides all around the castle, and are truly wonderful. Its not the "typical" garden, either...much like Heligan - very unique and nostalgic. Of course, there isn't much in England that ISN'T nostalgic! I love it all!!

We also visited Trewithern Gardens. I believe I spelled that right, and would highly recommend that in the spring. The trees will all be in bloom, and the grounds are truly lovely.

I'll let you know what else comes to mind. Are you interested in visiting any garden centers? We visited a couple that were fun.

o

Janet, I suggest you look at National Garden Scheme Open Days web site and you can see which gardens will be open when you are there. Kitty

Here is a link that might be useful: National Gardens Scheme

o

Hi Janet:

First of all, let me tell you that you are in for a delightful time in Cornwall. We've been twice in the last 4 years, and we are leaving in 2 days for London and Scotland. Our first 2 trips were primarily to view gardens. I would strongly advise you to check out The National Trust @ www.nationaltrust.org.uk The Trust manages over 4oo properties 2oo of which are gardens and landscape gardens. Also, most of the large estates usually have beautiful gardens associated with them. A membership allows you to see as many Houses/Gardens as you can fit in. It's well worth the money. The English Teas can be very addictive! Have a great time.

o

I was born in Cornwall! Lived there for the first 21 years of my life.

I've eaten many a lunch in the beautiful Morrab Gardens in Penzance.

Gee ... that was about 40 years ago. How time flies.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Traveler Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here