Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bamabob_gw

Lake District and Yorkshire in May 2005

bamabob
19 years ago

My wife and I plan to vacation in Yorkshire and the Lake District of England the first 2 weeks of May 2005. Someone told my wife we should expect a lot of rain during these 2 weeks. Is that true? If so is the last 2 weeks of May or first week in June better? We do not want to go in Mid-June through September. We hope to visit some gardens in these areas. Does anyone in England have suggestions on gardens and what should we expect weatherwise. We were also told that May in the Lake District is great for rhododendrons and azaleas. Thanks, Bob Smith in Hoover, Alabama USA

Comments (5)

• geoffhandley
    19 years ago

I think what someone told your wife is based on a single unfortunate experience. Fact is you can have a spell of rain like that any time. I don't think May is particularly rainy though this year was, but we have not had a very good summer this year. I would have thought that for rhododendroms early may would be more likely than late May.
    Gardens - Northern Royal Horticultural society at Harlow Carr in Harrogate, Yorkshire. In the Lakes there is , I think it is called, Troutbeck Hall. A rather lovely part of the country. The Lake District has to be one of my favourite areas followed by the Yorkshire Dales.
    How are you planning to travel around?

• Paula_sfbay
    19 years ago

My DH and I are considering a trip to the Lake District, Yorkshire, and Scotland ourselves, sometime in the next couple of years. We want to hike, visit gardens, and be awed by a bit of history. Some of my ancestors came from Yorkshire, and he has ancestors from both Yorkshire and Scotland. This goes back a number of generations, so we won't be running into any near relatives, but it would be interesting to see where our forefathers came from.

If we do go on this trip I'd like to time it well, and both in terms of weather and garden viewing. I love old roses and rhododendrons, and we both love hiking through scenic landscapes. Throw in the odd ruined castle and life couldn't be better.

Paula

• SHABDR
    19 years ago

Hie paula

Some places to visit in Yorkshire Castle Howard /harewood house/ Bramham park / Studley royal / York gate garden / Scampton hall /Parceval hall / and the city of York /the east Coast with Ravenscar and robin hood bay it's gorgious /Harlow carr botanical garden and in the Cumbria Levens hall one of the post atonished topiary garden / and the landscape of The Dales and the moors.
    Don't forgive yours Charlotte Brontee books ?

Enjoy this magis land.

Eric

• ljrmiller
    18 years ago

Don't miss Harrogate, the Valley Gardens, and the walk through them to Harlow Carr. It's about a 2 mile walk, I believe. I had a brilliant time in early October 2004. Of course it rained, and I ended up viewing Harlow Carr in a downpour. I didn't mind, because I had the gardens almost completely to myself, and the cafe/garden center/shop is nice and warm.

I expected rain, though, and took a wool overcoat, a wool shawl/scarf, an umbrella and waterproof walking shoes.

I also took copious notes, and have since ordered nearly all of the plants that caught my eye.

I also liked just wandering around York and the surrounding area--I had a one-week course for my job, and used the weekend before and after the course to explore York, plus the early mornings and early evenings to walk to other nearby villages.

It does rain a lot in the UK, regardless of time of year, so it's best to be prepared for it as I was (I lived in the UK for about 2 years as a child). Don't let the rain stop you, though, or you will miss out on a lot.

• ljrmiller
    18 years ago

I know it's probably a bit late, but one other plus for RHS Harlow Carr outside Harrogate is that now Betty's Teashop runs the cafe there, and Betty's is absolutely marvelous! I had the best tea I've ever tasted there. One word of warning--Betty's isn't cheap. I thought the prices were worth it, though.

Okay--all of the UK isn't cheap, what with a horrible exchange rate and other factors--but I'd vacation in Yorkshire again in a heartbeat and cost be hanged.

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES