Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cactusjoe1

A travel mystery ...........what and where is this?

cactusjoe1
19 years ago

For you well travelled gardeners, here is a mystery to solve. What and where is this?

{{gwi:1303857}}

More clues will follow.

Comments (15)

• cactusjoe1
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Oh! Oh! Lost it. Here it is again. Here are some clues:
    1. Europe
    2. Christopher Columbus

Here is what you will see if you look down.
    {{gwi:1303858}}

• viburnumvalley
    19 years ago

This is a spiral staircase in a tower somewhere, that I'd guess where Cristoforo Columbo used to hang out.

• cactusjoe1
    Original Author
    19 years ago

You got that part right! More clues:
    3. Over 100 years of building, and it's still useless.
    4. The architect copied construction techniques from many examples in nature (e.g., the shell form of the spiral staircase).

Here is a view looking out from the tower. Or, should I say, one of it's many towers.

{{gwi:1303859}}

• deborah2003
    19 years ago

since I spy an double decker bus from the tower.. we must be in London... although I can't imagine why Christopher Columbus would be in England... so it must be either Portugal or Spain... or Italy as Genoa was his birthplace.

• cactusjoe1
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Because it's not London! It's on the other side of the Channel, on a much sunnier side of Europe.

• cactusjoe1
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Christopher Columbus was born in Genoa, in 1451, the son of a wool merchant and weaver. He moved to spain in 1485. All of his voyages had been launched for the shores of Spain. One of the most famous statue of Christopher Columbus stands at one end of the famous boulevaard, La Ramblas in Barcelonia.

So, we are in Barcelonia.

Barcelonia has many famous sons, and citizens, including Pablo Picasso, who spent his early days there. The building from which these pictures were taken was the brainchild of another of Barcelonia's famous inhabitants.

• michaelalreadytaken
    19 years ago

Is it Gaudi? Just a wild guess.

MichaelAT

• cactusjoe1
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Michael,
    You are so smart and knowledgeable, having read your posts - I am sure that's more of an extremely educated guess. Certainly not a wild guess.

It's a Gaudi. One could say that this project is Gaudi's lifework. His obssession with this project is largely responsible for him dying from being run down by a tram, and mistaken for a tramp. If the picture below does not give it away, the next one to follow might.

{{gwi:1303861}}

• Pagancat
    19 years ago

Hmmm - must be the lovely Sagrada de Familia in Barcelona, then? If I remember correctly, Gaudi was the 2nd or third architect to work on the project, but still not able to finish it in his lifetime. He was, however, able to complete plans for it and the work continues as funds trickle in over the years.

When I was there it was during a period where you couldn't enter. But did go to Parc Guell, saw two of his "apartment/office buildings" Casa Mila and Casa Batllo (sp?)... his work certainly leaves an impression on you! If Peter Max had been an architect...

• cactusjoe1
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Right you are Pagancat! Well done! You sound well travelled.

Antoni Gaudi, one of the greatest modernist architect, seemed to be a man with a vision many decades ahead of his contemporary. He has left a number of strutural legacies to his somewhat eccentric brilliance. The largest one of this is Sagrada de Familia. The projected completion date for the Sagrada de Familia is 2026 (?). And I plan to be there for the opening!! Work has actually been progressing quite steadily, and speed of construction has picked up, now that there is the realisation that this landmark is a real tourist attraction that draws +++tourist dollars. Modern techniques of construction - tall cranes, high tensile reinforced concrete, etc - has helped. The most amazing thing is that the ongong construction is kept going by tourist dollars, donations and volunteers!

We visited it in 2003 - you can get in for a modest fee and it's well worth it. Even half completed, it's an awesome place. The highlight for me was the climb up the spiral staircase of the towers. If you are in the vicinity of Barcelona anytime during the travels, make it a point to get there - and get there early in the day before the tour buses start to arrive!

{{gwi:1303862}}

{{gwi:1303863}}

{{gwi:1303864}}

{{gwi:1303865}}

{{gwi:1303867}}

{{gwi:1303868}}

So, where in the world shall our next mystery be?

• Pagancat
    19 years ago

Very cool! Is this something you do often on this forum?

• cactusjoe1
    Original Author
    19 years ago

No, not on this forum. But I have posed "What is this?" mysteries on other forums. Could you have a go at the next one?

• Pagancat
    19 years ago

I'd love to - but I don't have an easily accessible posting site at the moment. If I sent it to you, could you put it up, send me the URL and I'll start the thread?

BTW, great shots of the ceiling... hard to believe, wasn't it?

• Pagancat
    19 years ago

I'd love to - but I don't have an easily accessible posting site at the moment. If I sent it to you, could you put it up, send me the URL and I'll start the thread?

• cactusjoe1
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Sure.

Have you tried using Photobucket.com to host your pictures? (Oh, yeah, don't click on the link right now - their site is down for maintainance work at present.)

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor