Return to the Garden Traveler Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
England - Gertrude Jekyl Garden

Posted by crewelwanda1 So Calif Z-10 (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 17, 07 at 16:05

We just got back from 3 weeks driving tour of England and Scotland. My favorite garden was the Gertrude Jekyl Garden in Northern England on the Island of Lindesfarne. The Island is reached via a causeway that is under water several hours a day, so be sure to check the tide tables (on the internet or posted at the entrance) before driving over. The Island itself is quite beautiful, sparsely populated with ruins of the old priory, a small village and a beautiful hilltop castle.

The Gertrude Jekyl Garden is a small stone-walled garden in the middle of a vast open area across from the castle. It was recently restored to its original 1905 state and includes both perennials and vegetables. Bright yellow and orange calendulas grow next to artichokes, climbing beans on bamboo pyramids beside blue cornflowers. There is a cool breeze and the salty scent of the ocean. It was quite sunny the day we were there, but the 3 of us were the only ones in the garden -- most of the people were there to explore the castle and I don't know if they were even aware of the tiny garden. There is a feeling of isolation and timelessness when sitting on the stone bench in the garden, and it was a place I will long remember.

Follow-Up Postings:

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Traveler Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here