Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jaytee0

Ireland

Jay Tee
25 years ago

I am looking for someone to exchange e-mail from Ireland. Would like to talk about gardening and ancestry.

Thanks.

Comments (10)

• RUTH
    25 years ago

I would also like that information if you get response. I am trying to interest my husband in a trip to Ireland. He is interested in gardening and I am Irish back through my father's side of the family. Maybe we can trade some information?

• mrs. petra niedermann
    25 years ago

my husband and I plan a trip to Ireland in june 99 to visit some of Irelands gardens and parks. Try to get hold of the brochure "Great Houses, Castles and Gardens of Ireland". I got it from the Irish Tourist Authority in Switzerland. I can give you the addresse to get that brochure in Ireland. Great Houses, Castles & Gardens of Ireland / PO Box 52/ Bay, Co. Wicklow / Ireland.

• Penny Law
    25 years ago

My husband and I are living in Ireland for two years. We arrived last August and love it here. He is on leave of absence from Tulane University in New Orleans in order to set up a program in Chemical Engineering at the University of Limerick. We are living in a faculty apartment on campus overlooking the Shannon. Ireland is gorgeous in summer. I had a hard time understanding how all the emigrants could stand to leave here. Now I know. I've decided to go into hibernation for the rest of the winter. If I can be of assistance to anyone interested in coming over, just ask. The Irish people are delightful, warm and hospitable, and they love Americans! I haven't met one unpleasant person yet. The gardens are not as plentiful here as they are in the U.K., but the quality is just as good. I can't think of a better place for a vacation. The cost of living here is much lower than in the U.K. Almost every other house is a B&B, and there are some excellent hotels and restaurants. I'll be happy to answer any questions you might have, if I can. Happy travelling.

• Penny Law
    25 years ago

My husband and I are living in Ireland for two years. We arrived last August and love it here. He is on leave of absence from Tulane University in New Orleans in order to set up a program in Chemical Engineering at the University of Limerick. We are living in a faculty apartment on campus overlooking the Shannon. Ireland is gorgeous in summer. I had a hard time understanding how all the emigrants could stand to leave here. Now I know. I've decided to go into hibernation for the rest of the winter. If I can be of assistance to anyone interested in coming over, just ask. The Irish people are delightful, warm and hospitable, and they love Americans! I haven't met one unpleasant person yet. The gardens are not as plentiful here as they are in the U.K., but the quality is just as good. I can't think of a better place for a vacation. The cost of living here is much lower than in the U.K. Almost every other house is a B&B, and there are some excellent hotels and restaurants. I'll be happy to answer any questions you might have, if I can. Happy travelling.

• Frank
    25 years ago

My son and his wife and 3 other couples are now in Ireland. They have rented a boat on the Shannon and for 7 days will travel on the water stopping each day at another landing and going ashore. It is reasonable and interesting and they will be flying back next week.

• Simon Oliver
    25 years ago

The best gardens in Ireland are in Ulster. Clandeboye, Castlewellan, Florencecourt. I agree with the other correspondents to this page: Ireland is a beautiful and wonderful country. But then, I was born there. It's also wonderful to travel and live elsewhere... like France!

• Kathy
    24 years ago

Several years ago I stayed at a B&B called Scilly House in Kinsale. An American couple created the most fabulous garden rooms on their property. They could be interested.

Were your progenitors wealthy people? If not, the extent of their gardening could be little. My Dad's cousins still work the family farms in Mayo and Clare and there is some gardening, but mostly now it is forestry crops, a little cottage gardening and working second jobs! But then Anthony has only to look North and has the view of Crogh Patrick, and Phil has the gorse and is busy with the tree farm, and the apartments in Limerick. The gardens I saw on my recent visit were public, historical and remote. The best private gardens were at B&B's geared for the tourists, as so much is in Ireland, now. I was only the in the West, however. I know things are quite different in the east.

• laura
    24 years ago

I love to travel in Ireland, and since I am a gardening addict, I visit as many gardens as I can. I would highly recommend the National Botanic Garden at Glasnevin in Dublin. In addition to the usual public garden displays (plant families, tropical greenhouses, etc.) which are wonderful and VERY beautifully maintained, they have a native plants of Ireland display that is nothing short of wonderful--it will help you identify all the wildflowers that have you puzzled. The perennial borders were too inspirational--I went home and dug up my beds and started moving things around in a hope of achieving only a few of the color effects they do. Another brilliant garden (and I use that term rarely) is at Glenveagh in Donegal. A bit off the beaten path, but really worth the effort. The shrub walks, roses, the walled garden--again, beautifully maintained with very interesting plant juxtapositions. And the contrast between the lushness of the estate gardens and the bleak granite hills of Donegal surrounding it--it's magnificent! I am sorry to say I found Powerscourt (massively promoted) to be a disappointment--not very tidy and boring perennials in blah combinations. Any one else have suggestions???

• Lily
    23 years ago

yes the botanic gardens are wonderful & free, don't forget to visit the BURREN A WONDERFUL NATURAL GARDEN ,FULL OF PLANTS IN May.....i live in france now, but when i visit ireland i always visit some gardens

• Hoagie
    23 years ago

Lily, and any others who have been there,

Planning a visit to Ireland with my daughters this June to walk the coast and meet the people. Can you tell me more about the Burrens. Will some of the Burren flowers still be in bloom by the last of June? Any other hints about the weather and what to wear!
    Hoagie/Phyllis

Sponsored
Innovative & Creative General Contractors Servicing Franklin County