Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bettyd_ofkentucky

Gardens to visit...N ILL or S. Wisconsin?

Hello Gardeners,

I am going on vacation in a few hours. I will be in Southern Wisconsin...close to Kenosha for a week and then West Bend for 3 days, and on to Madison area for 4 days. Dates go from Aug. 19th to Sept 5th.... in the order of travel mentioned above..

I love to garden and do exchanges. Taking along seeds...*wink*. Are there any gardeners that could tell me where I could visit gardens in those areas or close by? If anyone would like to have a visit to your garden... and get some Kentucky grown seeds...just post here. I will have access to a computer during my vacation. And, will check these posts.

I come armed with a digital camera...and lots of southern warmth...hope to hear from someone...

Happy Gardening to Y'all ... Betty of Kentucky

Comment (1)

• Kristine, Northern IL
    23 years ago

Hi Betty - I assume that you are now in Kenosha. Are you interested in public gardens and/or nurseries?

Just outside of Milwaukee in Hales Corner, the Boerner Botanic Gardens are lovely. We were just there early last month and enjoyed it immensely. They have trial gardens for perennials, annuals and vegetables. It was very peaceful. Mitchell Domes in Milwaukee is OK, but not my favorite.

The CHicago Botanic is nice too (though a bit more crowded than Boerner). This summer they have a great model railroad/garden exhibit that is worth the extra $3. Just hop onto 94 or 41 and head south to Lake Cook Road.

In Madison, I have heard the University Arboretum is good, but can not attest to it personally. The Olbrich Botanic is a little small, but very well laid out and fun to explore.

My favorite nursery is just south of Madison in rural Oregon/Stoughton. Take highway 14 south out of Madison to county road A and take a left to the Flower Factory. If you like perennials you will think you have died and gone to heaven. Nice display gardens too.

If you get close to Janesville, the Rotary Gardens are worth a stop. If you like Japanese gardens you may want to continue on to Rockford to see the Anderson Japanese Garden. It is a regular on the annual Garden Glory Tour and is open to the public year round for a nominal charge.

If you would like to see private gardens on a normal city lot, I live in Woodstock IL (just south of Lake Geneva) and you sure can come tour mine, weary as it is in August. I will even supply the mosquito spray (we have a lot of shade and it has been wet this year...) I could probably convince my friend Linda to open hers up too. We are both primarily perennial gardeners with a special interest in hosta.

Here are some addresses according to my book, the Garden Tourist 2000

Boerner: 5879 South 92nd Street in Whitnall Park, Hales Corners, WI free entrance, parking fee

Mitchell Park Conservatory: 524 South Layton Blvd, Milwaukee WI $4, children $2.50

Chicago Botanic: 1000 Lake Cook Rd, Glencoe, IL
    Free admission, $7 parking ($5 on Tues for seniors)

Olbrich Botanic Gardens: 3330 Atwood Ave, Madison
    admission to the grounds: free, conservatory $1

University of WI Madison Arboretum: 1207 Seminole Highway, Madison WI,free admission, donations welcome

Janesville Rotary Gardens: 1355 Palmer Drive (Exit 175A off I-90, left on Palmer Drive) Admission free, donations encouraged

Anderson Gardens: 318 Spring Creek Road Admission $4, seniors and students $3

The Paine Art Center and Arboretum are described in this book too. This 15 acre arboertum in is Oshkosh WI and is free, open Tues - Sun. I have not been there.

Hope this has been of some help!