Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
janroze

Need help planning garden trip to Eng., Ireland and Scotland

janroze
19 years ago

Would like to travel to England, Scotland and Ireland sometime in the next year or two, and visit gardens in Eng., Scotland and Ireland. I know England has the wonderful Kew sp? gardens, but beyond that I need help. I don't even know if there are gardens worthwhile visiting on the other islands. Do you? Any ideas or suggestions you may have would be helpful.

jan

Comments (5)

• Elenan
    19 years ago

One good way to plan a garden tour is to contact various garden tour companies (ads are in most national garden magazines) and look over their itineraries. These garden tours generally touch the major gardens of the UK, Kew, Wisley, Montissfont, Sissinghurst, etc., and they are certainly NOT TO BE MISSED, but there are some 3,000 small private gardens in England that are open in summer, very small admission price, which are listed in the annual Yellow Book. If you've never been to the UK, are not keen on flying by the seat of your pants, why not sign up with a good tour company for your first trip, get a feel for what there is to see and do, let them worry about hotels, meals, admission prices, etc. and just enjoy the scenery. You could visit the UK every year for 20 years, doing different gardens on each trip, and not see it all!

• erstanfo
    19 years ago

What type of gardens are you interested in?
    We spent a week in Ireland last november touring gardens.
    We spent 4 weeks in England and Scottland this June also touring gardens. In general I can highly recomend Blooms of Bressingham in Bressingham just north east of London http://www.bloomsofbressingham.co.uk see link about visiting gardens. Alan Bloom's house is open as a B&B and is quite lovely. He is amazing to talk to about plants. While in the area go by Beth Chatto's gardens www.bethchatto.co.uk

Send me an email if you would like more information on intearies.

• perennial_woman
    19 years ago

I'd like to recommend a garden just east of Edinburgh, Scotland - The Gardens of Inveresk in Musselburgh. We were there in August of this year. I believe there was an article about the garden in a local "things to do" magazine. We took a bus from Edinburgh to Musselburgh, a very short distance and had a delightful day.

If you want more specific info., let me know, and I'll dig it out.

• Julie
    19 years ago

I have noticed a few posted in the GW calender of events...
    Julie

• Paula_sfbay
    19 years ago

Garden tours are an excellent idea, especially if like me the driving issue daunts you. If you are a fan of old roses, you will want to include Mottisfont Abbey, where the Graham Stuart Thomas collection of old roses is beautifully tended. Vita Sackville-West's famous garden at Sissinghurst is another fine and romantic garden. There are other gardens that showcase rhododndrons or other kinds of plants, so it is wise to think what you would like to see (and when it would be at its best, too.)

Paula

Sponsored
HEMAX Construction Services & Landscaping, LLC
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars34 Reviews
Innovative & Creative Landscape Contractors Servicing VA