Return to the Garden Traveler Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
shipping cuttings overseas? possible?

Posted by cloudyiq (My Page) on
Fri, Oct 26, 07 at 11:01

hi im new to this site and have a few questions. i am not really sure if this is the right forum but the site is a little intimidating.
i love my houseplants and am hoping to have a few cuttings from them sent to me when i head out to iraq. is that possible? i just want maybe a couple of ivy's or spiderplants. lowlight and easy to manage. i just want a little something from home. and they should be okay to grow in water so i dont have to worry about shipping soil. im not really sure what type of soil is over there.
anyhoo, if anyone has any ideas. they would be greatly appreciated.
cq

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: shipping cuttings overseas? possible?

• Posted by bboy z8 WA USA (My Page) on
    Mon, Nov 12, 07 at 13:47

Probably the first thing to check is what, if any restrictions there on bringing in plant parts at the other end of the trip.

o
RE: shipping cuttings overseas? possible?

Having done the international route with clippings, I can tell you that there are lists and lists of things that cannot be taken into or out of various countries. If you MUST have something from home, find a grower with an international license who can provide you with all of the international paperwork to get you through customs. Even with that, be prepared to be held up, subjected to intense search, and have half your cuttings thrown out. I hate to say it, but it really would be easier just to buy a plant once you get there.
MacThayer

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Traveler Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here