Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bobwilson34

European Geraniums

Bob Wilson
23 years ago

Nearly every small town dwelling in Southern Germany, France and Switzerland is adorned with flower boxes containing geraniums. They are unlike our common Geranium.

I have been tempted to bring cuttings back, but have been conerned because of the Dept of Agr regulations.

Can anyone tell me what variety they are and whether/where they are available in the US.

Comments (11)

• andrew
    23 years ago

Bob, I don't know the answer specifically to your question but I typed in "Pelargonium Society" on Altavista and was directed to www.geocities.com/RainForest/2822/index.html
    The International Geranium Society publishes a quarterly journal called Geraniums Around the world. If you go to their site you might get an idea of how you can get seed for the geraniums you seek.

• Juliana
    23 years ago

Dear Bob you can not bring the plants or cuttings back to the U.S.A.--the Seeds you can, I always bring some back and over the years,never had a problem.There are many Gardenshop"s around the world,remember seeds fit always in a suitcase.Bob e-mail me for more info.From my garden to your garden--Juliana--SC

• Ruth Uecker
    23 years ago

Bob, I am also looking for a specific geranium I use to grow in Italy (Sardegna, specifically). It was also a featured plant at the 1999 Chelsea Flower Show in London. It's name is Barbe Bleu. The blossom is almost black (just a hint of purple). I've been all over the web here in the States trying to find it with no luck - YET! Anyone out there know where I can get a cutting or seeds?

I, too, was reluctant to bring a cutting back on the flight when I returned to the States.

But, if anyone out there knows where I can get this geranium, I will be eternally happy!

• Naomi in Germany
    23 years ago

Ruth, are you still looking for these seeds? If so, I can look for them the next time I'm in a garden center ... which is practically every day. :]

• Denise
    23 years ago

You are looking for Balcon geraniums. They are an ivy leaf geranium which must be propogated from cuttings. There is also a miniature variety quite similar to the Balcons but easier to locate in nurseries and garden centers. Look for "Mini-Cascade".

• glassribbon
    21 years ago

You can get these from Davidson Greenhouse & Nursery, Inc.-Good Scents Catalog. I just got the catalog and they had a couple of pages of them. Gorgeous.

• caitzs
    21 years ago

I also saw these when I went to Germany, Austria and Slovenia years ago. I did not know much about plants so all I really remember was the geraniums. Now I want to recreate those boxes here and am wondering what exactly was in them! I read on a website that 'Fischer' geraniums are also used. Other than geraniums, what plants are usually grown with them?

• caitzs
    21 years ago

It looks like alpine balcony geraniums are the geraniums of choice, and here's a place to buy them:

Here is a link that might be useful: Alpine geraniums

• adisim
    21 years ago

Chelsea Garden Center in Manhattan sells the flying geraniums I loved in France.

• lisa59
    21 years ago

Hi I wonder if anyone can tell me the name of a plant I have had for a few years. It is a "zonal P." but the flowers are unlike any I have seen. The flowers are pink and ROUND i mean round like a sphere,they never open fully,just a little bit at the top. Its nothing wrong with it!! just the way it has always been. Does any of you guys that know soo much :-), have any more info for me?? Never seen this shape flower. Lisa

• Gardenmart
    21 years ago

Don't forget to search under "pelargoniums" too. A google search of "balcony Geraniums" just popped up a bunch of sites. Happy Hunting.

Martha