Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
onyxcougar

Croatian Flower Identification

onyxcougar
21 years ago

On a recent (end of october, early november) trip to Croatia, I came across a flower that the locals call Âpina. I don't know the latin name, and I've looked on croatian google, to no avail.

The stem is long, over 6 inches, and the flower itself is a single bloom, about the size of a softball. It's a solid color, bright yellow or white. The petals are shaped much like a zinnia, but instead of growing out straight, they grow in a curving up fashion, and overlap, rather like tiling on a roof. The petals are firm, and slightly waxy in texture. The blooms last over 3 days in water before the edges turn brown and wilt.

It's not a zinnia, or freesia, or tulip. (Although the petals are tulip like in texture.) I think I remember something about it being related to the poppy, but the poppy flower looks NOTHING like this one.

Can anyone help? Even with a latin name or a place to start looking? I've searched google croatia with the accent and without, (although the proper spelling is with), I get references in text, but no pictures or other information. I've checked the botanical gardens site in Zagreb, but since I don't know the latin name, I have nothing to reference.

Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Thanks

Onyx

Comments (2)

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES