Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
danshepherd

Chelsea Flower Tour Recommendations?

Dan Shepherd
23 years ago

Hello everyone,

I am planning to go to Chelsea next year for the first time and I thought a group tour might be a good way to go. Has anyone gone on a group tour they really liked? Any you really hated? I was in London last year but it was winter and there was not much action for a gardener.

Thanks in advance.

Dan

Comments (3)

• rita finocchi
    23 years ago

this is very funny! I was just posting a message asking about Chelsea flower and on the top of the list i found your message about that. But what i like to know is if this show is really so beautiful like the english people i met told me. Anyone can tell me something? for you Dan, is the first time?

• rita finocchi
    23 years ago

Thank you Dan for the useful information about RHS site.I went there and decided to become a member. Is not so clever considering I live in Rome but maybe can be a good opportunity to go England more often.Ciao, Rita

• bill white
    23 years ago

The membership into the RHS is a good idea if one is going to the Chelsea Flower Show. It entitles one to attend on an earlier day and thus avoid the "mobs" later in the week. I attended on Thursday afternoon and couldn't believe the large amount of people that were let in at one time. From the tents to the exhibits one had to push through or not make any progress.

I know it is a truly great exhibit,and plants can be kept fresh for only so long, but it seems like there is no limit on the number of tickets sold.

We didn't go on tour,but did it on our own. It is easy if one is prepared. There is a ton of information available,and can be ordered on the web. From books like Cheap Hotels to Cheap Eats,to books on understanding the underground. You have a question on London,there is information that they will send.

WE find it is good to stay near public transportation,so we stay near Victoria Station. From there one can catch the underground,tons of buses,buses going throughout the country,taxis,and trains. It is really exciting to go on one's own in that you really get a feeling for the city.

In London there are many day tours of London,of which I would highly recommend. And great one day tours by train out of London.

Be sure to buy your underground passes and train passes before going as some of these are not available once you get there.

If one has a plan each day then it is easy to do. Such as,on a certain day plans are to See the Victoria and Albert (V&A) think of what time you are going and when they open. How you are going to get there. Write it down in your travel book. How about lunch? Maybe in the afternoon a boat trip to Kew and return by train. Write it down. Maybe a play that night,buy the tickets before you go.

If each day is written down in detail this way of traveling is a piece of cake. On guided tour there are many restrictions and limitations.

After writing this,I am definitely getting the bug to go!