Return to the Garden Traveler Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
elderly traveler

Posted by finchelover 5b-6 (My Page) on
Sun, Nov 27, 11 at 20:53

I want an opinion from older person who is somewhat hadicaqpped with arthritis. I want to go to New Mexico probabavly in Fall and my husband tells all our children I CAN'T DO IT AND THese comments really hurt me. I can do it but slower. I tell him I know what I can do and he has no right to say differently. How do you other older people feel about it.
My son wants me to come...he understands

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: elderly traveler

I saw your post and saw that no one else had responded, so I figured I would. I don't really qualify as an "older person who is somewhat (handicapped) with arthritis", but I do have close relatives that are and certainly have my own limitations for hiking, etc.

First, I think planning can make a huge difference. There are places to go that almost anyone can enjoy, places that only the most physically fit can endure, and everything in between. It's important to check out the places, you want to consider, carefully before you visit. Choose places that you feel confident are within your range. Don't try to push your limits, for your sake and those traveling with you.

Second, I think it's very important for older people and less physically fit people to go out and do things for their physical and mental health. If you just stay at home, that's boring and will just further your inability to do things. Getting out and having fun, along with a little physical exercise, is very important!

Another thing that might help you as well as "prove" your ability to do things you want to do, is to exercise and do physical things locally to build up your endurance. Going from long periods of inactivity to a challenging trip is probably not a good idea. Working up to the challenge will help you more fully understand your own abilities and help you prepare for the trip (and for the rest of your life, for that matter).

o

You can do it! I see people on planes who arrive in wheelchairs! Once you're at your son's houuse it will be easy as being home. I rafted the GrandCanyon with women who used canes and brreathed with oxygen machines. You can do it. Don't let people hold you down.

o

Finch lover
I just came across your email
I am elderly I guess 69 and somewhat handicapped
It sure does not stop me but I am slower and do not like it

I drive to Florida from Canada every year to my home down there, on m own I get out to garden clubs and travel to grown children's home, Do not do to much babysitting though

I wondered why you would even listen to what your husband said on the subject, e have to lie our lives
and imagine missing the opportunity to visit your son in New Mexico It is a spot that i have wanted to see for ages Texax is as far as I got , so far at least.

o

Take a look at www.journeywoman.com for travel tips.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Traveler Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here