Return to the Garden Traveler Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Hawaii--Designed gardens/landscapes to visit

Posted by Ginny12 z5 MA (My Page) on
Thu, Dec 8, 05 at 14:00

I'm going to Hawaii in early February. I'm hoping to see gardens, of course, but not just botanical gardens or plant collections. I'd like to see formerly private home or estate gardens now open to the public. We have lots of these on the East Coast--and elsewhere in the country. Are there any in Hawaii? Can't find any in the guidebooks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Hawaii--Designed gardens/landscapes to visit

I know of a lot of public gardens in Hawaii, but none that are like what I think you are asking for (still an estate type garden). Some of the bigger gardens started out from an estate, but then grew into something entirely different.

I have thought of a possibility that might help you though...write to one of the public gardens (preferably on the particular island(s) you are visiting) and ask them for suggestions. The people at Lyon Arboretum at the University of Hawii for instance are very nice helpful people that would probably be more than happy to help if they can.

If you happen to be going to Kauai and need info on the public gardens there, feel free to e-mail me. I am pretty familiar with them. It will take you at least 2 to 3 days just to see the magnificent public gardens on that island alone.

o

Thanks for the reply, Brandon. It looks as if this forum is not very active--too bad--a great concept. If we go to Kauai, I will follow your advice.

o

Don't pass up the zoo in Honolulu. I went there because it was close to my hotel, and my friend wanted to visit it. The zoo has GREAT flowers. Well worth a visit! It's a shame they don't advertize it as a garden as well as a zoo.

Here is a link that might be useful: Honolulu Zoo Visitor Information

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Traveler Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here