Return to the Garden Traveler Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Best state for an English cottage garden?

Posted by zone8heather (My Page) on
Thu, Dec 20, 07 at 14:27

Hello to all. It has been a while since I've posted. My question for you is this: Where in the US is the very best place for creating an English Cottage Garden? I am originally from Ohio, but I have lived most of my life in Florida (too hot/tropical). I moved to Buffalo, New York for four years and had the most amazing garden of my life. Things grew magically! Then I moved to Colorado where it is beautiful, but things do not grow so magically. My husband and I will relocate again in a year or two and I wondered, where is there an idyllic charming town that I can begin my gardening passion once again? I am thinking the NE, but any comments would be great! Other things I am looking for are four beautiful seasons, outdoor recreation, clean air and low crime. Also, dense forests for walking and a lake for fishing. Lot's of wildlife to view and well, basically I'm looking for a storybook setting - does that even exist? Thanks in advance for your comments!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Best state for an English cottage garden?

"Where in the US is the very best place for creating an English Cottage Garden?...basically I'm looking for a storybook setting - does that even exist?"

Well, did you find the storybook setting???

o

Although I have never been there, I've heard that the Portland, Oregon area is supposed to be full of beautiful cottage gardens.

o

Hi. I have grown gardens in Michigan, Wisconsin, Virginia and Massachusetts and I have lived in England. While the beautiful, loamy soil of Massachusetts allowed me to grow the widest variety of flowers with the fewest problems, believe it or not, the soil that was most like England's was the clay soil of Wisconsin (which is where I live now). So the moral of this story is, it's not so much where you live but what you do with your soil that counts, and if you don't believe me, spend some time on the soil and composting forum.
MacThayer

o

I love the English Cottage Garden too. Am only able to do it here in Texas in the very early spring. Foxgloves, Delphinium. sweet peas, hollyhocks can all work but only as long as it is cool. Am going to keep working on this terrible clay based soil as MacThayer advised.
Artqueen

o

Can I second Wisconsin? I wouldn't live anywhere else.

The Chicago Botanical Gardens supposedly has a great cottage garden using plants that thrive in the midwest. Haven't seen, but its on the to-do list for this summer.

o

• Posted by botann z8 SEof Seattle (My Page) on
    Sun, Aug 8, 10 at 20:17

I would think that a place that has a similar climate, such as the Pacific Northwest on the western side of the Cascades.
I live near Seattle, Click on the link below for pictures of my garden.

Here is a link that might be useful: My Garden

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Traveler Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here