Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cypher1

Purple Leaf plum sick. Please help

Cypher1
12 years ago

So my purple leaf plum is saping out of the bottom of the trunk. It was planted about 4 months ago. The tips of the leaves are browning. The sap is coming out of one of the branches aswell. It is watered every night because it is in the middle of my lawn. Not enough water, or too much water? If im watering to much, any ideas of what i can do to reduce the water since the water it gets comes from the sprinkler system. If it helps, i live in sunny southern california in the Valley where its hot and dry. The soil seems really moist. I dug with my finger about 4 inches deep. Plus, it has some flowers coming out and its not time for them to come out yet (i think).

{{gwi:441563}}

{{gwi:441565}}

{{gwi:441567}}

{{gwi:441569}}

{{gwi:441571}}

{{gwi:441573}}

Comments (13)

• Dan _Staley (5b Sunset 2B AHS 7)
    12 years ago

Surprise that they still sell this plant aside, Dan's default #1 (improper planting) comes immediately to mind, exacerbated by daily (!) watering of turf1. Lesions and leaves not a good sign. Might recover if turf cultural practices are corrected, but I wouldn't put money on it. Other opinions welcomed.

Dan

1 Loooove to see the water bill just for turf in SoCal!

• Cypher1
    Original Author
    12 years ago

How can the problem be corrected? At this point, all i want to do is save the tree. If too much water is to blame, any ideas of how to reduce the water consumption? Does improper planting comes because it was planted in the lawn area or is there something else i should be looking for?

12 years ago

I suspect it is planted too deep #1, and #2 if you amended backfill that is helping in the decline as well. Your turf cultural practice doesn't help either. Water properly. Your water provider has information to help you. Not sure it will recover, but worth a shot (and you'll save much money on water while you're at it).

Dan

• Embothrium
    12 years ago

Search gummosis for a bounty of pertinent web hits.

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    12 years ago

I still can't get over the nightly watering.

• Cypher1
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Im going to remove the surrounding flowers and inspect the dirt. Ill reduce the watering to every other day. Is there something i can use to treat the sapping though?

12 years ago

Is there something i can use to treat the sapping though?

Answered already.

Dan

• Cypher1
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I removed the flowers that surrounded the tree and inspected the soil. Soil was really damped. The tree looks to be planted at the right level, right? Can i recover the tree?

{{gwi:441575}}

{{gwi:441577}}

{{gwi:441579}}

• Embothrium
    12 years ago

Follow my previous suggestion and read up on gummosis. You will see that there are multiple possible causes.

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    12 years ago

"The tree looks to be planted at the right level, right?"

No, it is planted too deep. There is no sign of a root flare, which should be above ground level.

After you get your irrigation system problems resolved and get ready to plant a replacement tree, take a look at the link below.

Here is a link that might be useful: Planting a Tree or Shrub

• Cypher1
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Root flare is about 1/2 below the soil.

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    12 years ago

Cypher, this is a species that is one of the most disease and insect prone trees that exist in today's landscape. Sad, but true.

Why don't you make a little list of what you LIKE about this tree and maybe we can help you find something that is less problematic.

By the way, trying to establish a newly planted tree with the lawn sprinkling system is never a good idea. Either the tree doesn't get deep enough watering, or the lawn gets soaked. Best to water your lawn on a normal (conservative) schedule and HAND water a tree deeply.

Anecdotal story: My neighbor had three of these trees in her yard, near our property line. I was SOOO sad to see them croak, one after another, because they were my sure-fire Japanese Beetle traps. Once they were gone, I had to deal with the darned beetles in MY yard!

12 years ago

BH thinks the tree can be dug up and put somewhere appropriate and a better, longer-lasting tree can be put in the spot. And, of course, the deep watering by hand, as above. DD1 again.

Dan