Lucy in the Garden2

ninated2
20 years ago

Sorry..let me try again

Image link:

Comments (2)

• boomchuckchuck
    19 years ago

Love your garden and your....is it a beagle?
    My husband has wanted a dog for a long time,
    but we are waiting until our very old kitty
    is no longer with us....let him spend the rest
    of his life as king without a dog pestering him.

My question...can beagles and gardens coexist? I think
    that beagles are the most darling of the dog breeds and this would be likely my first choice. How have you trained your dog not to destroy, poop, dig in your
    plants?

boomchuckchuck

• tikiman
    18 years ago

I know this is an old thread; however I have a big tropical garden, and a beagle.

He is 10 now, and though it is a little tough getting through the puppy years, I suggest giving them limited access to any flower beds or large plant areas. Simple fencing can keep most beagles in a confined area. My beagle never had any digging problems, but I will warn you beagles tend to prefer company 24/7, because they are pack dogs and bread to be with other dogs. Otherwise, they tend to get separation anxiety, and that can cause lots of howling and destructive behavior.

Otherwise beagles are some of the most loving dogs you will ever own in your life. They prefer to sleep in your bed at night, and in my case, under the covers during the winter.
    They also like to eat a lot, so you have to make sure they don't get too fat. Most of all, beagles love to take walks and do a lot of sniffing around (this is their passion). So expect walk time to be a HUGE excitement for them (and you), and make sure you give them ample time to stop and sniff around.

They can be trained; however they tend to be a bit stubborn at times, and are really smarter than you think! They hate water, so bath time can be..."where is the dog?"

The males are best left confined to the house and a fenced in yard. Otherwise, I do not suggest letting a male beagle off the leash. They tend to let their nose take them in the direction where the smells are interesting and before long they can forget where they are, and how to get back.