Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sunflowerpoet

Photos: Are they flowering Podocarpus macrophylla?

Sunflowerpoet
19 years ago

I saw the flowers and fruit from a tall tree in Panama, Central America, and wonder if the tree is Podocarpus macrophylla.

Bud:

{{gwi:1301960}}

Flower:

{{gwi:1301961}}

Fruit:

{{gwi:1301962}}

The picture below is my houseplant which I bought from a nursery in Toronto, Canada. Are they the same thing? If not, what are they? Thanks. - Charline

{{gwi:1301964}}

Comments (7)

• Las_Palmas_Norte
    19 years ago

I grew Podocarpus macrophyllus maki in my last garden. It never flowered and according to the plant tag it states, "Produces no flowers".

Cheers, Barrie (Vancouver Island)

• Sunflowerpoet
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Hi, Barrie,

Podocarpus apparently have male and female flowers though I have no idea what they should look like. My google search does suggest that some Podocarpus macraphylla has yellow flowers, and below is the link. However, I am not sure if the flowers I saw in Panama are the same species. Thanks. - Charline

Here is a link that might be useful: volusia.org's Podocarpus macrophylla page

• bahia
    19 years ago

The plant in Panama is actually related to Oleanders, and is Thevetia peruviana, or Yellow Oleander. It is also grown in hotter parts of southern California,(especially in the low desert), and south Florida, but does not like frost or cool summer weather as along the California coast.

Podocarpus species do not have showy flowers per se, but instead are more notable for forming fleshy fruits if both male and female trees are present. They don't usually fruit in northern California, but the commonly grown Podocarpus gracilior can be quite messy in fruit in southern California. With great age, both P. gracilior and P. mcarophyllus become forest giants, but are also slow enough growing to be used as foundation shrubs in residential landscapes. Unfortunately they are too often planted right next to house walls and below roof overhangs, where they need to be butchered to prevent outgrowing their spot.

• Sunflowerpoet
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Bahia, what you said about the plant in Panama makes total sense to me and I also found that the flowers resembles those of Oleanders. But what do you think about my plant? Is it Podocarpus or Oleander?

• bahia
    19 years ago

It doesn't look at all like an oleander plant to me, so I would guess that Podocarpus is more likely. Mature Oleander doesn't have narrow leaves like your plant, but as they are cutting grown here in California, I have never seen what the foliage looks like on seedlings.

• Sunflowerpoet
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Thanks again, bahia, for your kind reply.

However, the flowering tree in Panama does have the same leaves as my seedling. Actually, except the flowers, the Panama tree does not look like a "normal" Oleander. That's why I am not sure of its id. Are we back to the mystery again? lol

• bahia
    19 years ago

Thevetia is not actually an Oleander, it just shares the common name, and the leaves on Thevetia look nothing like an Oleander, just the flowers have a resemblance. True Oleander(Nerium oleander) leaves are wider bladed. Thevetia leaves will look more similar to a Podocarpus than a true Oleander/Nerium oleander.

Sponsored
Central Ohio's Source for Reliable, Top-Quality Roofing Solutions