Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
daryljurassic

New Timeline Pics

daryljurassic
16 years ago

Here is a different angle of my timeline in Cincinnati.

Here is a link that might be useful: Tropical Timeline

Comments (10)

• mid_tn_mama
    16 years ago

THAT was very, very interesting. I think I must rethink my garden plans based on your beautiful slideshow. Do you have to take out the bananna plants in the winter? Does everything die back?

What is on the leftmost side of the picture that grew taller than you house? Castor beans?

What are the plants you started with? Were any started from seed?

Thanks!

• cactusfreak
    16 years ago

Great growing. You must fertilize really well.
    I wouldn't mind trading for the Castor bean seeds.
    I have lots of different gingers.
    Dr Moy, Disney, Striped Beauty, white butterfly and others.
    I'll get up a list if interested.
    Lots of different Hostas.

• daryljurassic
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thx, The bananas in the center of the pics(musa basjoo) stay outside year round & the other varieties of bananas come inside to go dormant. The castor beans are planted from seed in the spring and die(unfortunately) in the fall. All the elephant ears come inside to go dormant.

• pearlgirl
    16 years ago

I enjoyed every second of that! I must plan a tropical
    garden somewhere in my yard. You should be proud. I'm off
    to buy elephant ears, I've ordered the basjoo AND...I
    have the castor bean :):) INSPIRATION!!!

Margaret

• glaswegian
    16 years ago

I really enjoyed that too. What is the plant on the right hand side of the picture that grew really tall?

I have some castor seeds am soaking right now, I plan to get the musa basjoo and I am going to be looking to plant canna as well.

To the OP, do you plan to do this again this year?

• daryljurassic
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hardy hibiscus. Its an annual thing.(I'm addicted)

• nannerbelle
    16 years ago

Absolutly beautiful!!! You have there what I'm wanting to do around my deck in the back this summer. I have virgin sandy loam right now, it is a new house and my deck is going in this summer. I'm in the SC Sandhills, about 125 miles from the coast. What is the large tree like plant in the lower left next to your sidewalk? Is that the Castor that folks are refering to? Very nice!!! Where can I find it? I've not seen that one before. I've got one Black Magic Elephant ear out there now that did really well last year (placed where it has a constant water supply from my AC unit), and I tried a Musa Basjoo with no luck. It was too hot for it and I don't think it made it. May fool me but I don't think so.

• mcphouse
    16 years ago

just started cleaning up here in mid L.I.
    Your pics bring me back to last year, some palm trees lots of elephant ears canna'an calla' lilies. Unfortunately I didn't take pics but will this year. Musa Basjoo did not carry through the winter like I was informed they would.
    OK time to start the new season, good luck everyone.

• momamamo
    16 years ago

What a great slideshow! I actually tensed up near the end, worrying about your beautiful plants.

• daryljurassic
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thx all. Nannerbelle, those are castor beans. I originally got my seeds from Gurneys.com several years ago. I have since learned there are many varieties & colors available via a google search.

Sponsored
Columbus Foremost Siding & Exterior Design Solutions