Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mikestan_gw

Tropical Poolscape Help

mikestan
18 years ago

Hi,

we're nearing completion of our free form pool and I'm looking for some help for what to plant along the back wall that will give us privacy, since the wall is not that tall, but will go along with the rest of the plants we will use around the yard.

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/mike_stanaland1/detail?.dir=34fc&.dnm=bcf1.jpg&.src=ph

the link above should give some idea of the wall and how we'd like to plant something for privacy, but hopefully keep it within our tropical theme. We live in Northern California East Contra Costa County where the summers are scorching and the winters do get some freezing. The back wall is full sun all day.

So far, these are the plants we will be placing around the yard:

-Elephant ears

-Red Bananas

-Queen Palms

-Giant Bird of Paradise(Nikoli?)

-Bird of Paradise

-Pigmy Palms

-Hydrangeas

-various other smaller tropical plants

We were thinking maybe some kind of palms along the back wall, like the queens, but thinking they won't give enough privacy, so maybe windmills? I know we could do an evergreen hedge, but is there anything tropical that would give the same amount of privacy?

Thanks in advance!

-mike

Comments (6)

• rsieminski
    18 years ago

Castor Zanzi...20'
    Canna Musafolia 16' and other tall ones

• bihai
    18 years ago

Egyptian papyrus if you can water it enough

• bakev
    18 years ago

Hey Mike, great looking pool. Who is your builder? We are also putting in a pool over here in Pleasanton, we just got our deck done and I have been able to get some of the landscaping in (tropic look of course). Here is a picture of our yard before the pool. I will try post some pict of the pool with the landscaping as soon as I can take some new picts.

I use lots of cannas, bamboos (great evergreen screens), angle trumpets, and queens to get the look I am after.

• wetdog
    18 years ago

Bakev, that is P-town?? I was thinking somewhere on Kauai!!
    I am also starting a pool project in Pleasanton. Who did you chose? I may go builder owner.

Thanks
    Kevin

• bakev
    18 years ago

Hey Kevin, this is kinda weird, I'm Kevin too......It's like writing to myself.

Yep, we are in P-town. We love The Big Island and decided to try and re-create it in our own backyard. Winter is a little tough for the yard, most of the plants get cut back and it looks a little barren, but come spring it all comes back great. I also take some of the more tender plants in during the winter and cover others if it gets into the 20's.

We went Owner Builder and are using a consultant to help us out. We had various builders come out, but we didn't really see any plans that hit home with us, obviously, we are after a very natural looking pool, something like the one of the small hidden waterfall/pools that you would find in Hawaii.

I just took some picts last night, but I haven't had time to get them off the camera, but here is an older one of the pool. I will post the new ones tonight.

• wetdog
    18 years ago

bakev, yeah I am also more than likely going the same route. I am talking to a consultant with Yardscape. Can you give me a referal?? I have the general yard plan on paper but now need a pool design. I am going freeform but have not figured the interior options. Glad I found the pool forum. Where abouts in Pleasanton? I am in the Valley/Hopyard area.
    It would be great to hear your experience thus far!!

I could not see Mikes pic above!!

Thanks
    Kevin

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH