Return to the Tropicalesque Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Good News! I am now a Zone 7!

Posted by pcan Zone 7 Hurray! Utah (My Page) on
Fri, Jan 20, 12 at 21:43

Didn't move, just did the research for myself rather than relying on the USDA zone map that puts me at a 6. Today I looked at the daily low temps for every day going back to 9/2005, yes I am a garden nerd ;)

and this is what I found when I recorded all temps below 10 F. in my location... I think that puts me at a solid zone 7. I have always purchased plants with zone 6 in mind, with that said, what kind of new and amazing zone 7 plants can I buy this year???

Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Good News! I am now a Zone 7!

Nice documentation, and of course if your local conditions/microclimate don't agree with the zone map (is that new USDA map ever going to be released?), go with what you know.

We are rated zone 5b here, but as you can see I've been gardening in zone 6a (or warmer) for quite awhile based on average winter extreme lows for the past decade. All that means is that I can probably count on hardiness long-term for most plants rated to zone 6, especially if sited in well-drained soil. There are many things I've consistently overwintered despite their supposedly being hardy only in warmer zones (Salvia guaranitica, Mirabilis longiflora, Amorphophallus konjac etc.)

Zones are only rough guides - it's fun to take chances and see what happens.

o

I saw the new USDA map today, says it was released yesterday (1/26). I am now not just 8b on the Arbor day map, I am officially 8b now.......

o

On the old map and the new one I am shown literally on the border between 7 and 8. I've been tracking my temperatures for the last three winters and so far the lowest temp has been about 11F. This winter I've not seen any temps below 21F.(Zone 9A)

yay global warming lol

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tropicalesque Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here