Return to the Tropicalesque Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Petasites

Posted by rainydaywoman_z8 OR (My Page) on
Sun, Jan 1, 12 at 22:27

Warning: Never, never plant petasites just because you want huge leaves. The 2 tubers I planted 3 years ago are now everywhere in my beds, lawn, probably under the sidewalk! I wish I had never planted them, altho in the right place, if the snails & slugs that love the leaves are killed, they do make a wonderful huge display of green leaves. Now I'm keeping my eye on the tetrapanax I planted last fall---another invasive species, I think. (Along with the bamboo garden in my front yard.)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Petasites

• Posted by bahia SF Bay Area (My Page) on
    Fri, Jan 6, 12 at 13:48

Petasites is less invasive than the Tetrapanax, and if you don't summer irrigate the garden, their spread is greatly limited by surrounding dry soil. It is only slowly clumping here in my northern California East Bay garden. I only plant Tetrapanax within a root barrier for bamboo. Bamboo can be invasive if it is a running type, which species is yours?

o

I guess I will opt out of the petasites, I like the large leaves and fast growth rate but in my older age I'm starting to listen to good advice rather than learning the hard way..... plus I've had enough run-ins with other spreaders to know how bad it can be.

But I still want to try tetrapanax! .....of course winter will weed that one out real quick around here.

o

I have that although I didn't plant it. One of those 'came with the house' gifts. :-)

I suppose the former owners thot it would look cool beside the pond however they are in full sun so once the weather warms up (which can take awhile here), they pretty much look like poop. Large leaves yes mostly in shades of brown. :-(

I hope to dig two, three, four up this year and plant them in a specific and contained bed, in the 'forest'area. They are a Japanese forest plant and don't really like a lot of sunlite.

Eradicating the rest of them will, I'm sure be fairly challenging. However, I will prevail - not them. :-)

o

• Posted by pcan 6b UT (My Page) on
    Sun, Jan 15, 12 at 12:04

I am looking for more large tropical looking plants to plant in my 35 X 25 foot Bamboo grove. The grove is completely surrounded by a bamboo barrier three feet deep in the ground. Sounds like this may be a good option with no concern of being invasive since it is in a controlled area...

o

How about petasites in pots? Can they spread to garden bed areas if they are planted in just pots on the patio?

o

• Posted by glen3a Winnipeg MB 3A (My Page) on
    Fri, Jun 8, 12 at 22:36

I bought Petasites japonicus from a garden catalogue. In there it was rated to zone 4 so I thought maybe a sheltered spot in zone 3 it would survive. It was a small 4 inch pot that I planted and it looked impressive about the second or third year, but I removed it as I was building a patio in that spot and also, it was starting to spread too much. It seems too that it would spread very randomly. That is, you have a nice fairly solid patch of it about 4 feet by 4 feet in size and then suddenly, about 8 feet from the edge of that you would have the offshoots coming up. Then in another direction another shoot randomly sprouts. I'll just stick to edible rhubarb for my big leaf plants and hostas too, though not as huge.

o

Hello everyone, is there anyone willing to share a cutting of this plant

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tropicalesque Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here