Return to the Tropicalesque Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Tropical (not realy)

Posted by flash14756 z6 Boise,ID (My Page) on
Thu, Feb 2, 06 at 13:21

What tropical looking plants would grow well in my z6 yard. Tender plants are an option if they can be very easily overwintered (preferably in a closet or garage).

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Tropical (not realy)

There is a lot of choice that will make your garden look very tropical. From plants which you could overwinter in your garage and bulbs, like Alocasia, Colocasia, Canna etc... And a Banana like a Musa Basjoo that you can keep all year around in the garden (protected in winter) There is a great book I just got: Hot plants for cool climates (amazon) there is one with soft cover and it's cheaper, anyway it's a great reference book for that kind of gardening. What city are you located?

Cheers

o

Boise (go broncos!)

o

I have no idea where is that Boise USA or Canada ? And what's go bronco???

o

Boise is US, Idaho (ID) As for Broncos, welll.... I'm not sure...

o

Denis - Yikes - you embarrass us Canucks. LOL!!

I'm also interested in answers to this question. . . if there were more than one that addressed the question asked. :-))

I have an area by the pond that I would like to *tropicalesque-ize* - is that a word? (BG) It's exposed to South-Easterly's during the winter which is a concern. I have very tall bamboo there as a *backing* and certainly would like to add a Musa Banana. I like Macchoriza Alocasia and I love the plant that is pictured on the Trop Forum on the main page which I luv but don't know it's name. (Greek or Grecian something I think??) There is an Alocasia called Portodoro that has graceful wavy leaves - luv that. Certainly Cannas would work in the mix. Also Kniphomia (did I spell that correctly?) would/could look neat. Jap. Forest Grass could look neat beside or close to the pond but I gather it's pretty slow growing and prefers shade so not sure about that. Maybe a Jelly Palm??

Eric had a very neat plant which he called *Madge Simpsons Hair* LOL!! That would be a unique addition. There was another neat plant I found called a *Perry D Slocum Lotus* - not the latin obviously but a really neat plant.

I'll put a link in to my pond area page (though I'm not sure if the latest *bare in winter* pics are up. Flash do you have some pics you can post or link? Then perhaps folks will weigh in and help us design our *Tropicalesque Environment*.

With warmth,
H

Here is a link that might be useful: Pond Tropical Area

o

Castor beans are very tropical looking and come in red or green (annuals from seed, easy)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tropicalesque Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here