Return to the Tropicalesque Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Zone 5 annual seeds for 'The Look'

Posted by magickiwi Zone 5 Michigan (My Page) on
Mon, Feb 28, 11 at 18:24

I want to find what has a tropicalesque look just using annuals.
I have lots of Castor Bean Seeds to use.
What else do you recommend?
Thanks! zone 5 in Michigan

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Zone 5 annual seeds for 'The Look'

Begonia. x hybrida �Dragon Wing�
Caladium
Dracaena marginata �Tricolor�
Strobilanthes dyerianus
Tradescantia pallida �Purple Heart�
Tradescantia zebrina
all sorts of elephant ears (colocasia and alocasia) (not really annuals, like cannas store in basement for winter)
musa basjoo (stores in the basement)
ensente (same applies as above)
philodendron selloum or xanadu (bring in as a houseplant for winter)
i highly recommend going to tellys nursery in Troy, its definitely worth the drive if you are not close by. the one on 24 mile road is not as good for tropicals. but the one in troy has EVERYTHING! i swear its like heaven in there. they are open year round.

o

Apparently Cassia Alata is suppose to get really tall (5-8 feet) from seed the first year and if you have a long enough and warm enough growing season, it will bloom too! But I hear that its best to sow them when its warm outside and not in early or mid spring.
-Alex

o

Hi Magic

I did this last summer here in Quebec Canada.

I had several different coloured brugmansia's
Castor beans,gingers,canna's,acalypha's,justicia's.
plumbago's,duranta's,ti plants,and a few others.
send me your addy and I can send you some picutres.

What I did first,was to clear an area,then put down a big piece of plastic to help retain moisture and a soaker hose.then I put in half cheap soil and and the other half shrimp compost.the plants did very well and grew to over 14 feet tall...I watered every day and they were in full sun..Most of these plants can be kept in the basement with little effort and brought back out in spring..

cheers
Diggy

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tropicalesque Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here