Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
safariofthemind

Plants to Combine with Persian Shield

safariofthemind
20 years ago

Just idling the winter away waiting for the season to start. I was playing with color combinations and got to thinking about Persian Shield. I'll be planting 4 of them in part shade. It's such an exotic, irridescent type of purple that I have some trouble visualizing what to combine with it. Any suggestions?

RJ

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:1302032}}

Comments (17)

• Boca_Joe(zone 7b) southern Delaware
    20 years ago

hah!

I love this plant for shock value (color). LOL!

I use Pretoria canna, margerite sweet potato vine, alocasia, yellow or green coleus, ficus "Sylvie" and other cannas.

One of my favorite combos is persian shield, Pretoria canna and fiery red coleous.

check out the photos below
    I have other combo photos, if interested, email me directly.

Boca Joe

Here is a link that might be useful: Boca Joe's Tropicals

• bihai
    20 years ago

I planted mine with the variegated and spotted forms of Cast Iron plant, holly fern, black sweet potato vine, and the Zebrina species of wandering Jew (the little vining iridescent striped one?) as ground cover. ALso in the same bed are Kaempheria "Raven" and Kaempheria "Grande", Costus curvibracteatus Orange Tulip and Costus woodsonii "French Kiss", a double white brugmansia, fatsia japonica, and Calathea louiseii.

AT my old house I paired them with Brug Peaches and Cream and variegated Ttapioca, variegated oleander, and ALocasias"Metallica" and Odora.

• safariofthemind
    Original Author
    20 years ago

Love that combo Boca Joe. Is that striped lime green Canna Pretoria? What a shocker -- will have to issue sunglasses to visitors! LOL.

Bihai, have you got any pics online? The brug combo sounds interesting but brugs are sun plants, how did the p shield do there? Did it get crispy.

Keep'em photos coming -- I love to see the spirit of tropicalesque at its mischievous best.

RJ

• jayreynolds
    20 years ago

My first -ever- tropicalesque bed will have persian shield too.
    It's 10'x10', with stonemasonry walls on either side, actually on a fairly steep slope rising above a 3'high dry-stacked stone wall, with our kitchen window looking down upon it all.
    M/L from bottom to top-
    -wandering jew trailing down the wall and ground cover for:
    -persian shield
    -some green and some red coleus
    -white calla lilies
    then
    -Ipomoea Blackie ground cover under:
    -green and black magic EE's
    -Hibiscus Lord Baltimore(red)
    -hosta sum & substance
    -musa zebrina, basjoo
    -canna pretoria
    -ensete maurelli
    -finally, climbing up downspouts on L&R sides
    Clematis Ville de Lyon(magenta)

Most of these are first year plants, I expect it will get crowded the second year and need some revisions.
    Jay

• bihai
    20 years ago

RJ, I don't have photos of those particular beds. Only of what's inside my greenhouse. You can see those at:

bihaisrainforest.4t.com

• rootdiggernc
    20 years ago

I grew my Persian Shield with Dichondra 'Silver Falls' underneath it and the silver from the Dichondra and purple from the PS was beautiful together.

• bihai
    20 years ago

Thanks RJ!
    No, I have grown Persian Shield in as much as 1/2 day full sun and it didn't burn or anything. It does take a lot of water the more sun it has though

• Musa_addict
    19 years ago

Hi, I combined mine in cobalt blue pots with Lime Zinger sweet potato and it looks amazing.

• michaelzz
    19 years ago

i combined mine with copper plants, chenille plants ( both acalyphas ) those blackish coleus plants, portulacas and bright pink madagascar periwinkles

all in full sun

• randit
    19 years ago

I have Persian Shield all over the place in our "back yard", under Live Oaks. I placed some beneath some nice Sagos at the edge of the back patio. It provides a nice contrast for the "hard form" of the sagos, and offers a "soft skirting" beneath the rigid, all-green, "needles" of the sagos. The Sagos also provide extra protection for the Persion Shiel in the winter.

• fernzilla
    18 years ago

Hi:
    I have recently aqquired several Persian Shield plants
    to accompany Black Magic Elephants Ears and Pink Futurity
    dwarf Cannas. I am trying a Tropical look at one end of house. I included some Magenta Pentas, and Little Blackie
    Imopoena Vine. I use various shades of Magenta flowering
    plants every year. Impatiens ,Dianthus,Periwinkle. The
    lavender shades of Hostas seem to really look good with
    the Magenta color. I like the Chartreuse colored Hostas paired with Blackish Purple of the Black Magic elephants
    ears.I added some Blue Paradise Phlox also.
    I am hoping to take cuttings from the Persian Shield
    and start some plants in another area, which recieves more shade. I am experimenting with the Persian Shield to see if it will grow in the more shady areas of my garden.

• pdxgreg
    18 years ago

Although I can't see the flower to know for sure, it looks to me like it's planted with heliotrope in your original picture, Safari.

If that's the case, I'll bet that's a beautiful combination. It seems like the purple of the heliotrope flower would be a perfect match for the color in the Persian Shield leaves.

Does anyone know if they like similar conditions?

• justaguy2
    17 years ago

bump

• fernzilla
    16 years ago

I have a friend I turned on to Persian Shield. She has her growing in a pot with deep Purple Petunias trailing down all around it...Looks terrific.

• chris44
    16 years ago

I have mine planted next to carex (yellow-green variegated grass), farfugium (dark green with yellow splotches), all under a Brugmansia (angel trumpet, Charles Grimaldi) "tree". I love the yellow-purple contrast and the foliage and big penduluous blooms reaching down to the underplantings. Can't wait for it all to grow in!!

• lori_jackson_q_com
    13 years ago

I have combined this with coleus and sweet potato vines in shades of green, red and purple for an absolutely dazzling container.

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES