Return to the Tropicalesque Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Question About Lopsided Sabal Minor in Pot

Posted by KendraSchmidt none (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 27, 12 at 9:10

I recently acquired a Sabal Minor and I would like to plant it outside in the ground soon (zone 8) but I'm worried about the plant a bit, as I've noticed that in the pot that it's in now, it looks a bit lopsided. It's tilted to the left.

Also, in the middle of the pot, there seems to be a hard mound that I've tapped a bit with a finger and it seems very hard and doesn't absorb water as well as the soil along the perimeter of the pot. Does anyone know why this is? I'm too afraid to scrape that spot to see what's under it. I don't want to damage the plant. :o(

Since the plant is lopsided in the pot, how can I plant it to make sure that the trunk and the fronds themselves are straight? I don't want it to be lopsided in the ground. Especially if I'm lucky enough to have one that will grow a tiny trunk. Also, when is the best time to plant this Sabal Minor outside? Please help and thanks GW!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Question About Lopsided Sabal Minor in Pot

Anyone? :o(

o

I am not a palm expert, only a beginner - however I have read that prior to transplanting a potbound palm, you may, and sometimes should, completely rinse the rootball of soil. In this case, that may be the best idea in order to ensure that you are planting the palm in the most perpendicular orientation to the ground. I believe the 'hard' area you are describing would be the root-initiation zone of the sabal palm. So basically, a woody substructure of the trunk.

Here is a link that might be useful: U of FL - Palm Oddities

o

Thank you so much Venni for that info! That was very helpful and thanks for the link!

o

I never rinse soil from a palm's roots. Sabal minor does much better when planted with undisturbed roots. Plant a bit deeper than it is in the container and so the foliage is not tilted.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tropicalesque Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here