Return to the Tropicalesque Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
DC Area Source for Hardy Palms

Posted by the_virginian Zone 7 NoVA (My Page) on
Fri, Mar 3, 06 at 11:09

There is a Nursery in Ashburn, VA on Rt 7 that has a few Trachycarpus Fortunei aka: Windmill Palms available. I grabbed 5 of them and about 4 are left. The nursery is called Blue Mount Nursery. The owner tolfd me he was getting some needle palms sent in soon as well.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: DC Area Source for Hardy Palms

Enabler! Now I'll have to go down there.

o

Try to talk to the owner, his name is Frank and is catching the cold hardy palm/tropical bug. Right now they only have 2 of the very large Trachycarpus Fortuneis, but they will be getting some 5 and 15 gallon Needle palms in the next few weeks. Try to leave one or two for me if you get there first. The employees may be clueless, but Frank will know about the palms. Here is the address and phone number:

Blue Mount Nursery
19412 Smith Circle
Ashburn, VA 20147
(703) 729-6600

I would check in early May to see if they are in yet. The smaller Trachys I got from him all made it in the ground this year.

o

While this is not the DC area, you still might want a road trip when you see this website: http://garysnursery.homestead.com
I haven't been, but it looks like my kind of place. Talk about palms!!

o

just an fyi ....... I have purchased several large 15 gallon Needle Palms over the past few years ( they will ship up to 25 gallons ) via "mail order" from TyTy Nursery, they have been very hardy and have exploded ( as far as a needle palm is able ) since I planted them ... no bud rot and I do no winter protection ... 2 are in partial shade,Northside of my home ... fat trunks with multi branching occuring, I trim one of them up each year to look some what like a Med.,Fan Palm ( one dominate trunk and 4 surrounding trunks.)

o

My experince with TyTy has been less than positive and several of their palms died whereas PDN's have been healthier.

o

I have heard that allot about them ..... and have experienced the same issue with several other items but the Needle Palms have always been consistent for me from TyTy .... my sabal minor dwarf castors arrived today from PDN ... small but very nice, I'm going to mix them in around some cactus and yucca trees .......

o

Another fgood source is a place on Route 1 in Alexandria, VA called Holly, Woods and Vine. They have a good selection of cold hardy palms and bananas.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tropicalesque Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here