Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
vent1962

Philodendron Selloum

vent1962
11 years ago

I have been working for the last two years transforming my yard that had not one single plant into a semi tropicalesque escape. I have a lot of work still ahead of me, but given time, I hope to achieve my dream yard. With spring approaching here, I am in the planning stages to begin enlarging my koi pond, building up a much larger waterfall (hopefully adding a small stream to it) and begin adding MANY more tropical plants as I expand the foilage surrounding the pond. I do tend to push the limits in my zone which does require extra effort, but I find it worth it in the end. I am interested in adding Philodendron Selloum to my plants and I know I will have to keep it potted, but I was wondering if anyone else in my zone has worked with it and had success? I would love to hear your sucesses or failures with it.

Comments (4)

• tropicalzone7
    11 years ago

I keep my philodendron potted and it does great, I've never had any problems with it. They are decently cold hardy so you can plant them in the ground if you are willing to give them good protection, but I dont think it's worth the worry, they like being in pots anyways!
    -Alex

• trianglejohn
    11 years ago

I am also in zone 7b and quit growing them in the ground. They suffer too much even though they often survive winter. I still plant them in the ground and then just dig them up in the fall and keep them in a pot for the winter. To me, this is easier than lugging a large pot in and out. I usually wait until after first frost to cut them back (just the old leaves and long surface roots) sometimes its after the first hard freeze. They are very tough plants.

Any that have been left out all winter never get very big and I was going for the super large sized leaves.

• Lauren Clear
    11 years ago

I have several tropicals and subtropicals but bring them in the garage into a plastic walk-in greenhouse with grow lights on a timer and a small portable heater when the temperature goes into freezing and below. They do great in there, and I just water them a few times during the winter months. Then in mid-April, I start to harden them off for the summer in the garden.

• poaky1
    10 years ago

All the replies are warmer zones than 6. If tropicalzone in zone 7 brings his/hers inside I guess zone 6 outside in the ground is not a good idea. I have seen them in our Lowes, and thought the same as vent1962. I have an outdoor greenhouse, but it will hardly get warm enough in there for tropicals. All I have are 2 doghouse heaters. I haven't tried them out yet. I think my basement will be their winter home. It's a constant 60+ F in winter with a south facing door. Half the door is clear glass.. I just bought a Bird of paradise today at Lowes. I saw them in Florida last spring and loved them.