Return to the Tropicalesque Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
When to Uncover Basjoo Banana's?

Posted by pcan 7 UT (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 13, 12 at 13:09

This is my first spring with Basjoo Banana trees. I cut them to about 2 feet in the fall, insulated and covered them well. I am wondering when should I uncover them...? Is there a minimum night time temp I should wait for?

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: When to Uncover Basjoo Banana's?

• Posted by mksmth oklahoma 7a (My Page) on
    Thu, Mar 15, 12 at 17:34

just my 2 cents but anytime above freezing for Basjoo should be just fine. i cut mine down to the ground level last fall and covered them with just leaf litter. They saw many nights below freezing and a few times in the 20's. I just uncovered them the other day and they are pushing out from the middle.

o

Yesterday I decided to uncover them and see what was there. I decided to take pictures of the process so I started by a taking a picture of the cover in tact. Then I gently removed the cages and vwallaa! No tree! LOL You should have seen the look on my face... I was sure I had done everything right and no banana tree... It was like they were abducted by aliens over the winter.

I will just let them die back to the ground and mulch heavily going foward.

o

I left mine uncovered all winter (a mild one where the low temp was 9F). The subsidiary trunks look green and I expect new growth in the next few weeks (the main trunk rotted back to the ground).

o

Here's a pick of my Musa Bajoos from today. They got a good start from the warm March. I didn't even uncover them they just poked themselves out of the mulch they were covered in.

Photobucket

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tropicalesque Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here