Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jayferg

Anyone have pictures if a Tiki Hut?

jayferg
19 years ago

My husband is making a small Tiki Hut playhouse for the kids and I was wondering if anyone has a picture they could share.

If anyone has made one do you have any tips?

Thanks.

Comments (16)

• aikidokap
    19 years ago

One tip I would have would be for you guys to hit some of the local barbecue stores. Tikis have been pretty hot in CA the past few years, and although they don't tend to sell full huts, you can learn a lot about construction ideas and tricks by looking at some of them.

The barbecue stores tend to sell them as backyard bars, etc.

aiki

• jon1949
    19 years ago

Hi jayferg,I have a picture of a palapa(on second page) and a gazebo type hut.You can get palm thatch material from e-bay or the internet and cover any type of playhouse you build. john

Here is a link that might be useful: palapa

• jayferg
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Thanks Jon. I found some thatch on e-bay and we found some other pictures to model it after. You have a gorgeous yard. May I ask what vine that is in picture #14 covering the archway?

I think we will check out some of those stores Aiki. Though...I was drooling over the tiki huts at the SF Home & Garden show last weekend. We don't that kind of space or money but they are good for inspiration.

• imqtpi
    19 years ago

I have a Tiki Doghouse :-)

Scroll down about halfway down the page to see it. It's basically just a pre-fab El Cheapo doghouse with 12" raffia fringe stapled to the roof.

(and, after our super-soggy winter, the raffia definitely needs to be replaced!)

Some of the ideas I'd kicked around were real palm thatching (Jon's suggestion) - but the thatch panels would have been too big (and a real pain to trim down). For siding, I'd considered using willow or reed fencing (cut to size) stapled to the exterior walls.

I decided that was too much trouble for a doghouse!

The raffia roof seems to work out, okay. Lasts one summer and gives the "effect" I'm looking for. I'm sure you'll want something more substantial - but I thought I'd share just the same!

HTH

-Nancy

Here is a link that might be useful: My garden page

• jon1949
    19 years ago

Hi jayferg, there are five, moon vine(blooms at night),red and white cypress(hummingbirds like),purple and red passion vine.The moon and cypress reseed every year.The passion vines have to be moved in to the temp. greenhouse.Thanks for your kind comments. john

• jayferg
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Hi Nancy....Great pictures and cute dog house. I am in San Jose also.

Jon....thanks. It must look gorgeous covered in blooms.

• Las_Palmas_Norte
    19 years ago

Here's a link to a friends web-site. This "sugar shack" is on the back part of his property in South Delta, British Columbia (Canada).

Cheers, Barrie

Here is a link that might be useful: Tropic to Tropic

• bakev
    19 years ago

Here's a picture of our tropical oasis backyard, we bought the tiki hut last year as a cover for our spa..The tropical garden is about a year old now.

Here is a link that might be useful: Here is a link to some pictures of out Tiki Hut

• jayferg
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Thanks for the pictures everyone. I'll post our when it gets done.

• summeronmymind
    18 years ago

Wow! This discussion and the pictures are extremely inspirational, and this tiki idea presents some great possibilities. In our backyard, which is tropical, we have an umbrella table (painted metal) with a hole in the middle, and a big canvas umbrella in it. Does anybody have any idea how I might do a tiki transformation with these items?

• jon1949
    18 years ago

Hi summer, you can buy a 7' palm thatched cape to put over your umbrella.Take off the canvas and put on the cape using small black wire ties.Picture of palapa umbrella. john

http://photobucket.com/albums/v417/johndeltav/NorthTexas/?action=view¤t=PA080015.jpg

Here is a link that might be useful: palapa cover

• sinner_gurl
    18 years ago

This is a bit late but there is an awesome picture of a tiki hut type umbrella & table in an article called "Backyard Paradise". It is in the new spring 2005 Better Homes and Gardens Special Interest Publication titled
    Garden Ideas and Ideas for Outdoor Living. There are also great pics in the article on creating a tropical paradise and lagoon pool and includes several tropical plants.
    ~Lenette

• jayferg
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I think I saw that one. That is a great yard and the same one they used on the cover of Sunset last summer. Beautiful garden. One can dream.....

• sinner_gurl
    18 years ago

Yes it's pretty awesome. I liked the "lagoon" pics so much that I scanned one into my puter to use for a wallpaper for my desktop .
    ~ Sigh....

• maleko
    18 years ago

I belong to the Tikiroom.com now and someone from San Diego posted pics of their Tiki house and garden make over. It is pretty impressive.

Here is a link that might be useful: Tiki make over

• jayferg
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Wow! Very nice.

Sponsored
Iris Design Associates
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars22 Reviews
Northern Virginia Landscape Architect - 13x Best of Houzz Winner!