Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
johnnieb_dc

Grocery store elephant ears

JohnnieB
16 years ago

If you want to add a tropical flavor to your garden this year, next time you're at the grocery store look for for taro or malanga. Both are tropical starchy root vegetables (although technically, they're probably tubers or rhizomes) that can be cooked like potatoes--they make great fritters--but you can also plant them and grow some beautiful elephant ears for your garden. I've had pretty good luck the last few years growing taro, which produced the familiar big green-leafed Colocasia esculenta, and malanga from the Latin grocery stores in my neighborhood, which turned out to be a Xanthosoma species.

Look for firm, undamaged tubers without any soft spots, and with a pink growing tip at one end if you can. Just pot up the tubers in your favorite potting or container mix with the tips just protruding from the soil, give them a good watering and then keep them warm and moist until they start to sprout. Then you can give them more water and as much light as you possibly can until it's warm enough to plant them outdoors. Once outdoors, they require lots of sun, lots of water, and do best with plenty of fertilizer. They grow incredibly fast and are very gratifying and fun to grow. They make good container plants but even in the largest containers they require such frequent watering during the summer that I've had better luck planting them directly in the ground.

Two caveats: the first is that I've found that they can be slow to sprout. I'm not sure if this is because they are treated with a growth inhibitor but they can take several weeks to put out new growth, so now is the time to plant them indoors so they'll be ready when the weather warms up in late April or early May. The more heat you can give them, the better. The second caveat is that some of the tubers either rot or just refuse to sprout at all, again possibly because of growth inhibitors, so I generally buy a few more than I need. At something like $1.49 a pound, it's still a pretty cheap way to get a giant tropical plant for your garden!

Having grown both I prefer the Xanthosoma, mainly because they require a bit less water than the Colocasia and don't get crispy edges if you forget to water them for a day or two! On the other hand, Colocasia grow much faster so if you want instant results, that's the one to try. Here are some photos of the grocery store Xanthosoma I grew last year:

{{gwi:382853}}

Comments (4)

• glaswegian
    16 years ago

Hello JohnieB,

Very nice stuff, and you are right that getting them from the grocery store is a lot cheaper. Now I recognize some of your plants there;

a few grasses
    sweet poatato vive
    castor bean plants

What are the rest? LOL

I do have 2 big elephant ear ( colocasia esculenta ) in big pots indoors now, I got a bag of 4 from costco for $9. One of them has the pinkish tip and I have it just above soil level.

Now in order to get this to sprout, should I cover the big pot? The pot is already by a south facing window

cheers

• nightrider767
    16 years ago

JohnieB, Well said. I've done the same thing myself. I grow my grocery store Taro in San Antonio in poor clay soil in direct sunlight. It's pretty brutal conditions, but the Taro seem to thrive. And at that cost, I've made them into hedges along the side of my house. Every tuber I planted grew. An amazing plant. Beautiful dark green, 3 ft tall plants.

The only thing I regret is that I didn't try to grow a couple in the really shady parts of my yard, to see how they do there.

In SA they go dormant and are now starting to grow back.

The other thing to try is store bought ginger. It grew for me last year but got too much sun. This year I will have it in morning sun, afternoon shade.

Happy gardening!

• txgarden57
    16 years ago

I started a thread several years ago regarding TropicalÂs on the cheap and someone made the suggestion to go to the grocery store for some tropicals. I went to several grocery stores in my area and found the taro at Brookshires a smaller chain grocery in East Texas. I couldn't believe they had them! Bought the taro and a pineapple and a papaya. They grew great! Except for the papaya. I had to move after everything started growing. Still have my pineapple though. It comes in, in the winter but has been the most neglected plant we own at times and still keeps growing and itÂs 3 years old now maybe 4. IÂm starting another tropical garden this year and plan to get some of my plants at the grocery it works great.

• juni_perez
    15 years ago

Excellent Malangas there... delicious when the boiled tubers are served with cod fish... mmmmm.

Anywho - do you have to replant each year? Or do the just keep resprouting each spring?