Return to the Tropicalesque Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Dead, Dying, or Dormant?

Posted by bari_sax z9 CA Bay Area (My Page) on
Wed, Mar 30, 05 at 14:46

Now that winter is over, it's time to triage the garden. I've got a couple of plants that I'm not sure if they are completely dead, are dying, or are still just dormant and waiting for things to warm up a bit more.

If in the latter two categories, are there any suggestions of what I should do to help them along (e.g. pruning, fertilizer, etc.)?

Some specifics regarding the pictures on the web site:

The angel's trumpet was doing fine until we had one or two cold nights (probably about 35-39 degrees). Then all the leaves fell off. The outer parts of the limbs feel somewhat hollow, but it seems more solid when you move inward to where the color switches from red to green. Perhaps it needs to be pruned back to the green portion?

The king palm lost most of its leaves before winter hit, but there's still a bit of green if you look closely, which makes me wonder if it's going to come back.

The tropical hibiscus was planted late last season.

Here is a link that might be useful: Dead, Dying, or Dormant?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Dead, Dying, or Dormant?

If it were me, I'd just leave them alone and see what happens. Many times I have 'tossed' a 'dead' plant, only to have it show signs of life weeks later, perhaps after a warm rain. Patience is a difficult virtue to cultivate, but it pays off in gardening.

o
RE: Dead, Dying, or Dormant?

Angel trumpet will be fine. Here, they die completely back every winter, but grow bigger each year. Don't know about the palm. I usually employ the wait and see method on them, for at least 4 months, because it seems palms in general take a long time to recover.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tropicalesque Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here