Return to the Tropicalesque Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Dire Need to replant my Bougainvillea

Posted by kes_cor Z5 Chicago, IL (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 12, 07 at 16:02

I purchased my Bougainvillea two years ago, a purple flowered from Monrovia. As I've read they like to be pot bound, I never replanted it. Over the winter I store it in my semi heated laundry room (~ 50 and mostly dark). The plant completely goes dormant over winter. This is the plants third season and it only seems to bloom in winter, although I bought it in full bloom in June.

I just took it out from the laundry room and it is sprouting like crazy. I can see the flowers forming already.

I need to replant it as it doesn't stand straight upright. Also, how long can it stay in the growers pot?

Should I wait until the flowering is finished and then replant and back into the same pot?

Also, would you recommend fertilizing it or wait or always fertilize in low doses?

Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Dire Need to replant my Bougainvillea

I wouldn't move or fertilize it until it's done blooming. They don't like their roots disturbed at all, so if you plant it in another pot be careful not to disturb the root ball. How large is it? One of mine has been in the same pot for a long time too, not sure what to tell you on how long it can stay in the same size. Mine seems to do fine rootbound. Sorry I can't help much, I'm sure someone that knows more will answer soon.

o

• Posted by bahia SF Bay Area (My Page) on
    Tue, May 1, 07 at 12:57

It should have a good root ball by two years of age, so repotting now shouldn't be a problem. Growers push Bougainvillea with regular fertilizer all during the growing season, but don't use too much nitrogen or it will be mostly leaves and not flowers. In southeast Asia, many people grow Bougainvillea as a bonsai plant in very small containers, and root prune every year to keep it in the same container indefinitely. This seems to work better in tropical conditions with regular fertilizing, as under American conditions Bougainvillea will tend to sulk if not fed and underpotted long term.

o

A 3-gal pot will suit a bougie for a long time, repotting is best right before active new growth in spring, but can be done anytime successfully, make the transfer to the new pot quickly to avoid breaking the fragile roots, water the roots in, and set it aside somewhere warm but not too sunny for 7-10 days to adjust, and then you can resume normal care.

Its the fragile roots that pose a problem, if you are quick yet gentle, shock should be minimal.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tropicalesque Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here