Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rainydaywoman_z8

Windmill Palm in Winter

rainydaywoman_z8
10 years ago

Oregon Z8: Unusual for our area, this winter we had quite a bit of snow and an ice storm. (I've decided this is really zone 7 rather than zone 8.) My 10-yr-old, 20+-ft tall windmill (Trachycarpus) is now completely brown except for a very small spot of green near the top. I have no idea what to do as far as removing dead fronds and whether it will recover. Will it drop the dead fronds by itself? I'm a lone female gardener with no desire to climb a 20-ft ladder to remove dead fronds! Four small 4-yr-old windmills are completely brown and drooping; unless they suddenly sprout from the roots, they must be dead. And, of course, the 5-ft-tall dracaenas are dead, which is to be expected. I didn't mulch the musas this year, as they have not needed it in the past several years, so I'm hoping they survive.

The bamboo had ice-coated leaves and were drooping into the in the street, but only a couple of canes died.

I'm about ready to stop tropicalesque gardening and go back to growing petunias! Any suggestions about the windmill palm? Sorry if I sound whiny!

Comments (6)