Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
garden_nerd

Growing yautia, eddoes, sweet potatoes etc.

garden_nerd
19 years ago

Well, I've got back from the West Indian shop with a bag of knobbly roots. They cost about a fiver, if I had bought named varieties from a nursery I probably would have paid nearer £50. It remains to be seen what I get out of them!

After puzzling over which end was the top end and probably making the wrong decision I've put them into pots of compost with the neck of the tuber sticking out - this is because last year, several of them just rotted off without sprouting. Will it matter if they're in upside down? (What an incredibly stupid question!!)

Also, on asking the stallholder if this was an item that will grow I've been told, no, not possible. I gather this is because, like a dahlia, the tuber cannot sprout unless it has a piece of stem left on with growing "eyes". As there are various shapes, sizes & textures of tuber how can I know which ones this rule applies to?

I've put them in a W facing windowsill. It's probably an average of about 60 degrees F in my house. Is this high enough, and will they rot if kept too cold? Any experienced W. Indian / Latino gardeners out there that know what to do, and could advise on how to treat the different types of tuber? It's not helped by having so many names in various languages for the same item!

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting