Return to the Tropicalesque Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Calidium vs. elephant ear

Posted by pondmaster101 (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 24, 09 at 20:39

Hi, I saw a bag of caladium bulbs, and they were realztively small. The leaves on the picture were white, pink, and specked and not green. Are these elephant ears? How big do the leaves get on these plants? thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Calidium vs. elephant ear

"Elephant ear" is usually used for Alocasia, Colocasia and Xanthosoma, and occasionally for some other closely related genera. The name comes from the ones with the big leaves--and some of them get enormous--although all three genera have smaller members.

Caladiums are closely related with similarly shaped leaves that are are much more colorful but generally much smaller. Most caladiums will have leaves about a foot long or less, and usually don't grow more than a foot or two high.

One big difference is that caladiums are true tropicals and cannot tolerate any cold temperatures. They start to go dormant as soon as temperatures start to drop in late summer. Alocasia, Colocasia, and Xanthosoma seem to be more subtropical and will tolerate some cold temperatures, although they will stop growing. In my garden, most elephant ears look good right up until a frost kills them.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tropicalesque Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here