Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bluebamboo

Anyone know where to buy seeds of Fatsia japonica?

bluebamboo
14 years ago

Does anyone know a good place to order seeds of Fatsia japonica?

Comments (9)

• bluebamboo
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Well, to answer my own question, these places had nice prices:
    http://www.seedsandmore-store.com/
    http://www.jlhudsonseeds.net

• tropicalzone7
    14 years ago

Ive also seen some on ebay.
    Good luck, thet are great plants!

• JohnnieB
    14 years ago

Hi Mark--

I have generally had very poor germination from commercial Fatsia japonica seeds. I think they lose viability quickly. On the other hand I have had excellent germination from fresh seeds when my plants fruited two years ago, and had several seedlings to give away at the DCTropics plant swap last year. Are you still on the email list? It looks like I will have another crop of fresh seeds this year due to the mild winter. I expect the fruits to ripen in mid-May.

• JohnnieB
    14 years ago

BTW I believe I purchased my seeds from Park and from Chiltern. Poor germination (although not zero) from both.

• bluebamboo
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks for the info, John! Yes I'm still on the list. I bought a lot of seeds from seedsandmore--hopefully some will be OK. Hopefully I can try some of your fresh seed, too. I had flowers on my 'Spiders Web' this year, but the piles of snow did them in, I think.

• judithva
    14 years ago

Mark, I am not sure if you still need seeds, but here is a pic of my fatsia I took yesterday. I THINK these white flower things are seeds, I don't really know much about this plant, but anyways if you want some seeds I would be happy to give you some.

• JohnnieB
    14 years ago

Judith, this is how mine looked two years ago coming out of a mild winter. Those are immature fruits although it looks like some of them are starting to ripen. The fruits will turn dark purplish-black and very soft and juicy (early to mid-May for mine). At this point they will be fully ripe and seeds sown immediately should give near 100% germination within a week or two of sowing.

I have a few of my own coming this year, but the heavy snow broke some of the stems including most of fruit-laden stems so I lost a lot that would have ripened otherwise.

• bluebamboo
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Judith, thank you very much for your offer! And thanks for the info, John!
    I would love to get some seeds when they ripen.
    I tried sending an email, but that function doesn't seem to be working at the moment I write this.

• judithva
    14 years ago

Johnnieb, thanks for the info, I really don't know much about this plant other than loving how it looks. The winter here was pretty bad too, but I think it was protected being against my garage wall? A few of the fruits are just now starting to turn purple.

Mark, my email is activated now, I had it turned off for a long time because I was concerned about getting spam. I will leave it up for a bit so you can email me.
    As I mentioned above there are only a few that are purple (right now). So I am assuming that it would be bad to remove the unripe ones now for you, best to wait until they are purple according to Johnnie?

Sponsored