Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gardnpondr

Anybody ever planted seeds of a Gunnera Manicata?

gardnpondr
17 years ago

I was wondering how long it takes them to come up? I bought some off Ebay last year and was TOTALLY SHOCKED at the teeny tiny size of them when I got them in the mail. With such a huge plant I was expecting larger seed. lol Anyway I planted them a few days ago and was just wondering how long they would take to come up. Thanx!!! I think it's also called a giant rubbarb sp?.

Comments (23)

• sunsetsammy
    17 years ago

No I haven't planted a seed but I do have one of these plants. I covered it with a THICK layer of mulch and plastic bubble wrap for the winter. I was wandering through the yard yesterday and I noticed the plastic cover on top of my Gunnera was pulled very tight. I removed the rocks holding down the plastic and pulled it away. I literally watched two arm sized branches emerge from the mulch and stand up straight. I almost thought the thing was going to reach out and grab me!

My Gunnera didn't get very big last year but something tells me that will change this summer. I'm very afraid. :)

• kaye620
    17 years ago

I have tried twice this year. The first time I started some inside with no luck. I now have a new batch started outside. No luck with them either! I'm going to keep the soil moist for another month just to make sure.

• don_brown
    17 years ago

I am making a second try at it. I am told that these tiny seeds can take months to germinate.

• gardnpondr
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Mine still hasn't came up and I'm still waiting. I know it's been a month now or longer that they've been planted.

• shadow-n-big_al
    16 years ago

Gunnera manicata: http://vandusen.plantexplorers.com/product_info.php/products_id/220 good info on this plant can be found here, but don't try to order seeds from here for shipping to USA, you will need a ppq-587 form and permit from USDA. 1 month wait on USDA permit approval so far for these seeds,and still pending. note: not suppliers fault but they did require a permit, the USDA is the hold up, was told it can take up to 45 days to 2 months for approval, and a level 2-access pain.

• gardnpondr
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Well I just knew I had one that came up. I think it was a mushroom! LOL Then I have something else that has came up as well so we'll see. I was SOOOOOO excited! I wont be ordering anymore seeds. I will just get the plant when I find one around here.
    Thanx everyone!!

• greenelephant
    16 years ago

I'm the Seattle area and I winter sow the fresh seeds. I tried gunnera from Thompson & Morgan seed one time and got zero germination. I think it needs to be sown fresh and never dry out. This makes sense if you consider where gunneras grow--in the cloud forest where it never dries out. For this plant to succeed it would need to cope with constant cold rain and mist. And it probably grows up to the frost/snow line too.
    The way to go is get a fresh seed stalk this fall. I just cut the seeds heads off the main stalk with a big knife, let the chunks fall on top of the sowing medium. Then sink the pot into the ground and let it sit for the winter. Perhaps a light layer of leaves to protect from drying out. Let the winter rains and cold stratify the seeds. All the pulp will rot away by spring. It got down to 13 degrees here last winter so I know that those seeds froze. Even so, germination was high--90+%.

Here is a link that might be useful: Gunnera seed discussion

• ives1027
    15 years ago

i have two very large Gunnera plants that I'm very proud of can somebody please explain to me how to take seeds off them.

• chellflower
    15 years ago

ives1027,

I would love to have some of your fresh seeds.....I could trade something or send postage. I have also planted online purchased seeds-not sure of their freshness/viability..still no seedlings..
    PLMK if you are willing to share some of yours.

• rhizophora
    15 years ago

Hi,
    mine self sows EVERYWHERE! The seedlings are tiny, then they develop into primrose-like plants before sending up its first adult leaf. The weird thing is, when I planted seeds deliberately, nothing grew. But now, seedlings are appearing all over the lawn, around the mother plant, and in drains!
    Good luck with

• raven1350_comcast_net
    15 years ago

I know this is an older thread but anyway, I read that oils from your skin can interfere with germination. Here's the refrence, I hope it helps someone else considering trying these from seed.

Here is a link that might be useful: Gunnera from seed

• doooglas
    14 years ago

Good advice.We hit'em with roundup...LOL

• rusticlady.com
    13 years ago

A friend gave me a gunnera a few years back. It naturally gave birth to 4-5 new plants. I've removed the seed pods and so appreciate all the details on how to plant. I did leave some of the seed pods in the bog where the largest happiest gunnera live. My original plant is now HUGE with leaf span being 3-5 feet across! I am on the Southern Coast of Oregon. I haven't protected it from our winters without any sign of damage.

• poaky1
    6 years ago

From these peoples posts I think I'll just purchase plants. I may have to wait until payday, but, it seems seeds are a pain in the tush, and many have never had germination of any of their seeds, so is a big waste of time and money.

• green_sun
    5 years ago

Although this is an old post, I hope someone will find this thread just as I did.

I have finally had success!

However, they (Gunnera manicata) have VERY specific requirements:

1) They first need 14 days to one month with high heat and a lot of humidity.

I placed them on a Styrofoam float with a piece of old towel on it for 14 days at 30°C with close to 100% humidity (swimming on the surface of a heated aquarium).

2) Afterwards they need cold stratification for 2 months up to 80 days

I placed the float with the seeds inside a plastic bag into an insulated cupboard outside, where it was between -5 and +5°C for over two months.

3) They will germinate in full humidity when the temperatures subsequently slowly rise

Finally, I surface sowed the stratified seeds onto seed starting mix, covered it with plastic wrap (they sure need a lot of humidity), and placed the covered container outside in bright shade in April for the temperatures to slowly rise.

It is also important to have fresh seed, and the success rate was still low (10-20%, albeit still coming up).

Nevertheless, the proof of the pudding lies in making it, see attached picture :-)

P.S. @raven1350, I took your advice and always wore gloves when handling...

• Tobias Bijkerk
    5 years ago

@ Green sun Thnx for your comment. I got my seeds for two weeks in a garden greenhouse. A warm soil and sometimes some fresh air one a day. And every day a little bit water on the top. If i read your comment....... Should i put the greenhouse in a cold position? Thnx for youre answere. Greetz from the netherlands

• green_sun
    5 years ago

@Tobias Bijkerk, you should first put them in a warm place in complete moisture (in a plastic bag) for at least 2 weeks to a month, and then put them at 2-5°C for at least 80 days, and let the temperatures rise slowly thereafter. Just put them in the fridge for 2 months, should do the trick.

• poaky1
    5 years ago

Wow, greensun, I am glad you had success, I have given up on this plant, you know, growing from seeds. Good luck Tobias.

• green_sun
    5 years ago

Here is an update:
    For something so big they sure are slow growers for now...

I keep them covered all the time, they seem to like really high moisture while young.

They never get direct sun, which would obviously bake them under the cover, but bright shade (open to the northern sky but trees to the south).

• poaky1
    5 years ago

Wow, Greensun I hope you'll give updates when your plants get to full size, I mean pictures as an update as well as words : )

• green_sun
    5 years ago

Another update: There are only 6 survivors out of 50-ish seeds, of which 16 sprouted. They are finally starting to somewhat resemble the adult plants (still only 4" or so though).

I plan to keep them indoor under LEDs over the winter... Wish me luck!

• Neil Robertson
    last year

I planted 32 seeds in 32 seed pots two weeks ago. No sign of germination yet. Instruction say to keep in a pot for the first year.