Return to the Tropicalesque Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Brachychiton doesn't bloom

Posted by pier_carlo_griotti Italian Riviera (romantic@casalorenzina.it) on
Thu, Apr 28, 11 at 2:58

Hi everybody,
I read many other people grow this small tree. I have been growing one for 5 years now, and no flower shows up. This Spring I hoped at last this takes place, and when the big leaves from the previous year fell down I thought the moment was arriving. Instead, the apical buds do not have but new green leaves. My question is, is this only a matter of plant age, or do I do something wrong ( soil pH, watering)?
Thank you in advance
Pier

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Brachychiton doesn't bloom

Which species are you trying to grow? There's quite a few.

o

Usually it is a matter of age. But yes it also does depend on the species. If yours is B acerifolious and if it was a seed-grown plant not grafted, it could take many years- 6 or more.
There are many other factors of course, like soil type and depth, amount of water or fertilizer, any improvement to boost plant growth in early years is good.
Ultimately, the tree will decide when it is ready.

o

• Posted by bahia SF Bay Area (My Page) on
    Sun, Aug 21, 11 at 1:38

B. acerifolius can take a very long time to bloom here in the San Francisco bay area, and are typically earlier to bloom the hotter the summers are. In my home town of Berkeley, or in San Francisco, they will grow but may never bloom. A 20 year old tree over 40 feet tall in Oakland has only started blooming,(when we have a hotter summer ), in the past few years. B. populneus is much more reliable, if less showy.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tropicalesque Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here