Return to the Tropicalesque Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Success in growing soapnut!

Posted by kuluk 9 (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 15, 12 at 4:24

I am so excited I just have to post this. After ten years of waiting I have just made my first harvest of soapnuts, from a tree I planted from seed. They are called Kerorok in Bali.
They are very ecological and make a wonderful cleaning agent and shampoo. Sooo satisfying!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Success in growing soapnut!

That sounds like a useful plant. Congrats! Does it smell nice, too? If google showed me the right plants, they kind of look like palms. Cool!

o

I have one that's about 8 ft tall and I'm wondering about pruning it. It's time to start creating a strong structure but I don't know what pruning method to use. The bottom branches start at about 5 ft so it doesn't seem wise to cut the tree off below that?

o

the first few years it was a thin stick, and then started branching out as you describe. I did not prune it at all, and then a couple of years later it was a tall bushy tree. It looks beautiful, and the nuts simply fall to the ground when ready. They are green at first and then turn brown naturally.

I use them for all my handwashing except for whites, because it is slightly brownish in color.

o

Sounds like I just let it go and not worry about pruning. I know they get huge in time.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tropicalesque Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here