Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
slades3sons

suggestions on tropical landscaping

slades3sons
15 years ago

Would like to landscape near pool. The area is 4.5'X50' that is 5' away from the pool on the long side of the pool. The pool is rectangular in shape. There is a traditional pressure treated wood fence behind this planting area. It is not appealing at all. The plot is only 4'wide. There are hugh NRS hollies, wax myrtles and one windmill palm out there now. I want a more tropical appearance.I would also like to have the plants survive the winter. Perenials and annuals are ok. I would also like to hide the fence.I have considered out door art and tropical appearing vines.I am trying to post a pic. still trying.

Comments (3)

• Dave in NoVA • N. Virginia • zone 7A
    15 years ago

Things to consider: Is this area in full sun? Do you want high-maintenance or low-maintenance plants? Do you spend time out there in the winter? Do you want it to look good year-round?

Of course bananas, brugmansias, cannas, elephant ears, gingers are quintessential for adding a tropical flavor, but die back with a hard frost and so dried leaves, stalks will need to be removed annually, but if you're up for that then go for it. Consider incorporating some glossy, broad-leaved evergreen shrubs, small trees, vines or ground covers for good year-round interest. I'd probably stay away from using prickly-leafed hollies or yuccas/agaves near a pool. Windmill palms are good because they don't get so huge as palmettos and pindos. Maybe you could work some Sabal minors in as they stay small -- but you may have lots of small seedlings to contend with. Are Sagos hardy in your area? Indian Hawthorn and Pittosporum are good understory, low-maintenance shrubs. Crinums are nice and have fragrant blooms. You could espallier a loquat along the fence or keep it pruned more upright. Just some ideas

• redneck_grower
    15 years ago

Not sure if they're hardy in your zone, but (sorry for mispellings) here are some I use for a tropical look, or simply lush effect:

Phillodendron selloum
    Fatsia japonica
    Eriobotrya
    Albizzia julibrissen
    Tasmanian tree fern (genus?)
    Cannas and callas
    Soft-tipped Yucca's
    Firmiana simplex
    Colocasia
    Aspidistra elatior
    Acanthus mollis
    Irises
    Agapanthus
    Hostas
    Hydrangea
    Magnolia macrophylla
    Toona (Cedrela) sinensis

I'll think of others.

• JohnnieB
    15 years ago

Besides palms, there are few plants that will give a more immediate tropical "oomph" than elephant ears and bananas. Try Musa basjoo, Colocasia esculenta and any number of other elephant ears (Alocasia, Colocasia, & Xanthosoma).

The larger cannas--'Musifolia' and 'Red Stripe' are among my favorites--are also easy, tropical-looking and very fast-growing plants. Hedychium species and cultivars ("ginger lilies") will provide bright flowers in addition to tropical-looking foliage. All of these should be hardy in zone 8, but will behave as perennials and die to the ground in the winter.

Sponsored
MAC Design + Build
Average rating: 4.3 out of 5 stars18 Reviews
Loudon County Full-Service Design/Build Firm & Kitchen Remodeler