Return to the Tropicalesque Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
starting a giant elephant ear bulb in indoors

Posted by greenpassion z4-z5 VT (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 9, 10 at 10:27

I bought 2 large taro? bulbs (escalenta gigiantia?) and have them in large peat pots with good potting soil, under semi warm lights. Will I have to wait until it's warm enough out on my deck (with the sun on them) for them to emerge? It's been over 3 wks. ??

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: starting a giant elephant ear bulb in indoors

Mine always take quite awhile to pop up. They really prefer it warm, so I wouldn't worry too much. They'll come up when they're good and ready. :-)

o

One method I've heard of is to soak the bulbs in quite warm water for several hours. This serves to break the dormancy of the bulb. Then pot up, but keep on the dry side until growth begins.

I placed several of my uppie bulbs in a large plastic storage container with the lid ajar, then placed that in the sun. The inside got very warm and seemed to give the bulbs the heat they needed to break dormancy. I potted them up and they are sending out roots.

o

I start my elephant ear bulbs in water (not a lot of water, about a 1/2 inch) and they come up in about 2 weeks (thats regular elephant ears though. One time they started to get mold so I had to get rid of the water, let it dry, and pot it up, and it grew fine despite the problem.

Good luck!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tropicalesque Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here