Return to the Tropicalesque Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Japanese fastsia/Aralia

Posted by unautre 8b SA TX (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 30, 06 at 12:51

Any zone 8 or above have these survive with some foliage and above-ground stems through the winter?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Japanese fastsia/Aralia

They do ok in OS but we're z8, but a cooler z8 than you are in San A. they do NOT do well with immersion in salt water, eg Katrina flooding ;-)

sea ya
tami

o

I got a Fatsia japonica 'Spiderweb' through the winter in the Washington DC area, with some protection (wrapped with burlap & stuffed with dry leaves). All the leaves were killed, & much of the stem suffered die back. It is already putting out nice new growth, so hopefully it should be in good shape.

Happy growing,

Dan

o

I have been growing Fatsia japonica in my garden (zone 7a/b) for 4 years. I grew them (from seed) indoors for a year, put them out in the spring and covered them the first winter in the ground but since then have only mulched them heavily with fallen leaves. They have weathered numerous single-digit temperatures with very little foliar damage.

It's quite a shock to see the fatsias after a particularly cold night. The leaves turn blackish-green and go limp, looking a bit like boiled spinach. Their recovery when it warms up again is almost miraculous. The worst damage seems to come in early spring when some of my plants start to get direct sun because the trees haven't leafed out enough to give them shade.

o

I just got some yesterday and planted a 5 gallon plant near a fence, between two houses in mostly shade. I expect it will do fairly well if we don't get to or below zero this coming winter.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tropicalesque Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here