Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sprout_wi

EE - Can I savwe a mushy bulb?

sprout_wi
17 years ago

I planted a large Elephant Ear bulb about a week or two ago. It did not sprout so I decided to transfer it to another pot. I found that the pot had not been draining properly and there was a mushy section on the bottom side of the bulb. I scraped some of it off - about a tablespoon of a grapefruit-size bulb.

Does it have a chance of sufvival? Thanks !!

-Sprout

Comments (10)

• xerophyte NYC
    17 years ago

Let the wound dry out before you replant it, it should be fine as long as the growing point was not damaged, powder fungicide will certainly help make sure the open area does not rot

• garden_nerd
    17 years ago

I have this problem all the time with colocasia tubers. I never know if the problem is over-watering (I hardly give them any!) or lack of sufficiently tropical temperatures and humidity. I must admit I just chuck them out once I find any sign of rot. I find it very hard to get EE to sprout at all before the rot sets in.

I usually buy tubers from the local exotic grocery store and grow these - is that what I'm doing wrong? Can't see why these should grow less well than a nursery-produced tuber though. Any tips would be welcomed.

• xerophyte NYC
    17 years ago

Try planting them in pure perlite or pine bark nuggets, something that drains extremely well and does not hold too much moisture. Warm temps are a must, typical room temperature conditions are fine for sprouting along with enough water to keep the mix barely moist.

• sunsetsammy
    16 years ago

I have also had problems with mushy EE bulbs.

I tried to overwinter 2 dozen various types of elephant ears this winter. Some very large Upright EE and common Colocasia. Also a few different types ie. fontanesi, black magic, illustrus, freydek. All bulbs were stored in peat in either cardboard boxes or pots. They were kept in a semi-heated shed. I basically only turned the heat on when we had a cold snap and the temps were dropping below freezing. I transplanted all the plants into pots (promix) about 2 or 3 weeks ago. The bulbs seemed heavy for their size but they didn't seem mushy. Maybe a little around the area were they where cut back last fall but the bulb below felt solid. I've barely watered them over the last few weeks and haven't seen any growth. The pots were kept in the same shed this spring and occasionally I would move them out to the sun on a warm day for a few hours.

Today I decided to check a few of the pots and I've found that the majority of the Upright EE bulbs were very mushy.

I've cut off all mushy areas and have a fair size solid chunk left over. Can I do anything with these?

Some of the smaller bulbs ie. fontanesi, black magic, illustrus, etc. seem to be okay but haven't sprouted either. I've heard there is a lower success rate with trying to overwinter these types???

It was obviously too damp where I stored these plants. My Musa Basjoo (stored in the same place though) are all growing nicely. There is a lot of moisture in the air during the winter here. Has anyone else had success overwintering EE bulbs in the PNW without a greenhouse?

• minilibby
    16 years ago

Sunsetsammy...where do you find the variety of EE? I am from Ontario and can't seem to find any except the common and upright ones.
    I think maybe you need to be more patient with your bulbs.
    I have found some of mine take up to a month or more to sprout. I have overwintered mine free of dirt in a dry container kept just above freezing. It has worked the best for me.

• sunsetsammy
    16 years ago

Minilibby

I get most of my "odd" EE's from places like Canadian Tire, Art Knapps, Home Depot, and Superstore. You have to look for them though. Sometimes in the aquatic plant section.

I have a few Taro bulbs from the grocery store which I'm trying to get going now. The ones from last year are done. Rotten and stinky. :)

• angelfairy
    16 years ago

This can be caused from rodents chewing on your tubers. Just cut off the mushy part till you see light colored flesh and allow to dry out for a day. Then sprinkle the cut part with some cinnamon (herbal fungicide) and replant. Colocasia and Alocasia require hot temps and high humidity to do their best. If you try growing them in cooler tmeps. make sure you have a well-draining soil..especially for the Alocasia's.

• cheerpeople
    16 years ago

I have dropped all my colocasia and xanthosoma, and switched to alocasia
    they overwinter for me better and come back with better results-
    Karen ( zone 5)

• marilily
    2 years ago

I'm in Missouri. I dig up elephants (dont know all my names) in mid Oct and set them on large tarp in the middle of garage for a week to dry (so I can still park in there). Then pull and shake off all the dry dirt. Store in paper bags in the basement. Plant again on June 1, when its warmer night temps. Most are planted in ground, some in pots. Works great!

Sponsored